AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to run my speaker wire from my receiver, through an outside wall, about 20 feet outside, and then back into the house. Is it recommended that I use any special kind of speaker wire for the outdoor portion of the run?

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
No, but I would suggest sleeving the wires in a 1/2" PVC conduit, complete with a pair of LB's at each end, plus additional LB's if you go around a corner or two.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Fine
No, but I would suggest sleeving the wires in a 1/2" PVC conduit, complete with a pair of LB's at each end, plus additional LB's if you go around a corner or two.
What are LB's?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I am assuming he means "Line Balancers", which are devices to help minimize RFI (Radio Frequency Interference).

Bill

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
No, an LB is a conduit body, used for making tight outside corners, and has a removable cover to assist in pulling the wires. There are also LL's and LR's, which can be used for either inside or outside corners, T's, and C's (straight through pulling).

This is an LB:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=true...e=034481132530

For a more compact corner, you can use one of these:
http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=true...e=034481066217

Either will get you around an outside corner.

They're supposed to appear as images; oh, well, you have to click.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dkbainbridge
Can you run speaker wire next to electrial conduit (110v)?
Yes; either wire in conduit qualifies as separation. Plus, speaker-level signals are strong enough to not be affected by nearby power wiring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just bought some outdoor speaker wire from parts express. I recommend using wire that is made for direct bury. I believe the sleeve of the wire is less susceptible to degradation from the environment.

Rich

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Your local "L" and "HD" carry 12-ga. landscape-lighting wire – perfect for outdoor speaker wiring.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
there are two types of "outdoor wire"

1. wire for burial - sometimes referred to as "direct burial".... in addition to a heavier jacket, this cable is filled with a gel that tastes bad to gophers and other rodents....

2. wire for above ground - this cable is jacketed with a "sunlight resistant" jacket that will not breakdown over time when exposed to uv rays like a normal pvc jacket would

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.