AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

Im about to be finishing off my house. It was wired for 'whole house audio'. They used 16ga wire, which is thin, but fortunately, all the wires come out in the living room where I want to set up my surround sound. Here is the problem: The wires come out on the left side of my fireplace, but my TV is on the right side of the fireplace. I have no earthly clue why. Anyway, the way my house is constructed, I have concrete exterior walls, and the wires that are already in the wall are closed up, and framed around. HOWEVER...I have a means of getting wire from the left side (where they all come out), up, over to the right side, and then back down to where my TV is. Since the wire is already so small, and Im going to be adding about 20 feet to it, can I simply use 12 gauge wiring to get from where the wires come out to where my TV is and not have any significant signal loss on top of what is already there? Basically, Im extended the wires that are already there so they can go back to the TV. I know its convoluted, but there is NO way to get the wires to the TV as it is unless I go on the outside of the wall.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just looked and there is an RG6 coax coming out of the wall there. Instead of patching the speaker wires, running them back up the wall and to the TV, can I just swap out the connecter on my RG6 cabling, put my surround speaker equipment there and use then go back to my TV with RG6?

I would essentially only have to run an additional single RG6 cable to my TV/Dish Receiver for the digital coax out, and then that could hook up directly to the surround equipment on the other side of my fireplace? IS that legit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.