AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: am I okay running one of my speaker wires next to an electrical wire? I have all the electrical in the house running in the ceiling at the edge of the theater and I need to run a surround wire next to it. they will cross at a 90 degree angle, but should I put something between them? I have tried to keep all the video cables away from any electrical cable.

thanks.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Ok on the one hand you say they will run NEXT TO the electrical then you say they will cross at 90 degrees, which is it?

You do NOT want to run them next to the electrical if you can help it. Crossing should be ok though I would still separate it some if I could.

The one place I had to run parallel I ran my speaker wires through lead pipe.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry that's my mistake. They will only cross at 90 angles where they go through the top sill plates. I was thinking of sticking a couple of 2x4's between them. Good enough?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, but how close do they really need to be together? I have about 6 inches between mine and the never cross. The speaker cable goes through the top sill and behind that is bundle of electrical cables. So at best the don't cross and they are still at a 90 degree angle to each other.

·
Registered
359 Posts
At 90-degree angle, you shouldn't have any trouble. Put a 2x4 between them if you want.

If they run parallel to each other try to keep them at least 1-ft apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.