AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many 1st timers, I made the mistake of purchasing expensive speaker wire when I set up my home theater. My room is a modest "family room" home theater with M&K 750 speakers and an M&K sub. My Denon 3803 powers everything. It's not a dedicated theater, as we use it as a family room as well. I'm in the process of getting rid of my giant 57" CRT RPTV and side audio rack in favor of a floor space friendly plasma set up. This will give me the opportunity to re-size all of my wires and better conceal them. Here's my question...

Is it going to negatively affect the sound quality if I purchase some affordable 16 (copper) gauge speaker wire and some inexpensive banana clips? Some of the speaker wires I have now are flat out embarrassing in regards to their width. I'd sure like to tidy up my set up if I can get away with it.

NO MORE STOCK 6'-12' cables!!!

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyg123 /forum/post/14318060

Is it going to negatively affect the sound quality if I purchase some affordable 16 (copper) gauge speaker wire and some inexpensive banana clips?

The conventional wisdom around here is "NO".

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyg123 /forum/post/14318060

Is it going to negatively affect the sound quality if I purchase some affordable 16 (copper) gauge speaker wire and some inexpensive banana clips?

no, imo. a good place to buy them is monoprice.com.

i bought my 16awg wire at my local hardware store (100' for ~$20) before i knew of monoprice or avs.

works very well.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
one of the more reliable sources of infomation on speaker wiring
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

While 16 gauge will work fine if your distances are not greater than those shown in the table, I have a personal preference for 14 gauge as the minimum wire size I will use. Either will work fine.

both www.monoprice.com and www.partsexpress.com have good prices on 2 conductor speaker wiring, both plain and in-wall CL2/CL3 rated

·
Registered
403 Posts
I went from 14g zip cord to custom made twisted bi-wired, sleeved cables. They look pretty and compared to the zip cord? Sound absolutely the same. They were fun to build and (as previously stated, pretty). IMO opinion, you do not need banana plugs (but others will disagree).

You can get zip cord at your local Lowes or HD.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Use 12g myself just to be on the safe side of this argument, as the cost difference on bare wire between 16g, 14g and 12g is pretty minimal when you compare it to the rest of your system.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14319609

Use 12g myself just to be on the safe side of this argument, as the cost difference on bare wire between 16g, 14g and 12g is pretty minimal when you compare it to the rest of your system.

And it looks cooler!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts