AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought 150" of Monster cable on Ebay. I didn't realize that the cable was a 4 conductor type. How would one install either front speakers or rear speakers when they will be on opposite sides of a room about 14' apart. The other end is easy because the Left and Right terminals of my A/V receiver are close together. They must make this stuff to make installation easier but I can't figure it out unless you remove the outer insulation and run the wires with only the inside insulation---that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
With the four conductor cable you would run two seperate runs (one to each rear speaker) and pair up the wires in each run. On both ends of the cable combine both blacks together and both reds together. You will then have a two conductor cable of a higher gauge. 4 - 16 gauge wires will yield two ~13 gauge. 4 - 14 gauge will yield two ~ 11 gauge.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill

Do you mean that I twist the uninsulated ends and then using each for the + and - terminal connection? Actually this cable has four different colors but I assume that as long as I keep the pairs consistent it shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Basically, what I believe he was trying to say, was assume your Monster cable has 4 wires: 1,2,3 & 4.

Twist 1 & 3 together (at both the receiver and the speaker) and then 2 & 4 together. One "pair" will give you the "black", and the other will give you the "red".

This will help on longer runs by effectively lowering the guage - as if you ran a 12 guage instead of a 14 (for example).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.