·
Registered
7,822 Posts
What's the question?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry for not clear enough. question is which wires will be good for out-wall out of specified 4 or which wire and from where i should buy out-wall speaker wires

Thanks

--rubs

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mind if i piggy-back on this thread, since the subject is perfect for my question?

Is there a way to select proper wire size based on length and power?

Since cost increases with size, how does one choose the optimal gauge for a particular install?

TIA,

Eric

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rubs;

What is your budget? You mentioned "cheap", how much are you honestly willing to spend? And are you looking for "brand-name" cable, or are you willing to go with bulk, generic speaker cable? There are several paths you can follow from here....

If you're looking for just generic wire, try

here:

Pacific Cable

here:

Audio Discounter

or here:

Parts Express

These all carry bulk wire, and I think one or two of them get linked from time to time in this forum. I just bought from audio discounters, and my cable is on its way now.

Take care,

Karl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EricJRW
Mind if i piggy-back on this thread, since the subject is perfect for my question?

Is there a way to select proper wire size based on length and power?

Since cost increases with size, how does one choose the optimal gauge for a particular install?

TIA,

Eric
Eric,

I'm sure that there are quite a few folks that can answer this, but I just woke up so I thought I'd jump in. Although I've run across a few websites that talk about speaker wire selection in terms of amplifier power, I picked up this link last night from this website. It's got a pretty good discussion on wire selection based on load impedance and length of wire:

Speaker Wire

There's also this one, that goes into longer runs of wire:

Selecting Speaker Cable

There are also a few threads in this forum discussing the selection of wire - just do a search from the "Audio Theory, setup, and chat" page for speaker wire - there are five or so pretty good discussions on wire selection.

Hope this helps,

Karl

·
Registered
30 Posts
Oh, and Eric....

I recently ran across a website that had 500' (yep, 500 FEET) of 10-gauge speaker cable on sale for about $130 including shipping and handling - that's less than I've seen a few places charge for 250' rolls... I can try and go through my history and find the page if you're interested...

Take care,

Karl

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
No technical reason you can't use CL-3 out of wall. CL-2 may be cheaper, though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks farblue,

No need at this point... I need to redo my wiring, but that's not going to happen until we buy a new place (next 3 to 6 months)... I'm just starting the data collection process for that project, since I want to (hopefully) do it before we move in.

Eric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.