AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting ready to finally get surround in my house. got the yamaha receiver yesterday.

the way i have to run my rear channels is im going to put a 2 port jack in the wall behind my ent center. run the wires up the wall about 6 feet over about 4 ft. then i will have to run the 15 ft in the ceiling to the other side of the room. then down about 7 ft. to the other jack. so thats what 32 ft.

would i be ok running 16 guage wire to these or do i need to drop down to 14 guage. would this speaker wire be ok to run to all the other speakers too.

i did just pick up 120 ft of 16 guage wire. for $8. it looks like some pretty decent stuff. the strans inside are twisted. and it came with 8 pins. the link to the company is virtualrealitysoundlabs click on products at the bottom is royal cable speaker wire its the 3rd one down on the right.(wont let me post a link to it) i couldnt not get it at that price. might go back and get another roll.

i think the rear speakers are the klh-tw-09b.

the center channel is i think klh 943pl and the front im not sure about model but they look alot like the klh av-1001 but have an oak finish.

my sub is the aiwa ts-w5u.

thanks

dawg

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm in wall speaker wire. never knew there was a difference. by the way what is the diff.

where i will be running it there is no electrical wires at all except for back by the tv and the wall on the back side is open.

looks like monoprice is out of the inwall wire.

·
Registered
946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddawgs /forum/post/0

hmm in wall speaker wire. never knew there was a difference. by the way what is the diff.

where i will be running it there is no electrical wires at all except for back by the tv and the wall on the back side is open.

looks like monoprice is out of the inwall wire.
http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/...akercables.php

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
So, if a cable isn't marked CL2 or CL3, is it suitable for in-wall installation? It may be.

i read that article and it really did say u have to. quote from the article.

im going to check with my neighbor that is an electrician to see if thats the code in ohio.

thanks for the link though. alot of good info there also.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i went down and talk to my neighbor. he said that i will be ok to run regular speaker wire. he has done many remodels and have seen the people run it and it pass the inspection. but he did say that on new builds they would not sign off on it.

infact he ran regular speaker wire in his surround setup behind the wall.

if its only a case of being in code im just going to run the stuff i have.but if its a case of getting sound problems i will try and get the inwall stuff. just want the cost to be low.

the wire i have has a pretty decently think insulation around the wires. doesnt look like some cheap stuff. actually looks thinker then the monstercable speaker wire.

thanks

dawg

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
The inwall rated wire is a better idea because of a couple of factors.

1. The extra jacket provides additional protection during pulling and installation.

2. The inwall rated wire will not smoke and burn like regular insulation possibly causing a fire in the room to penetrate into the wall and/or cause outgassing of toxic fumes during burning.

3. It pulls through the walls more easily

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabiddawgs /forum/post/0

well i went down and talk to my neighbor. he said that i will be ok to run regular speaker wire. he has done many remodels and have seen the people run it and it pass the inspection. but he did say that on new builds they would not sign off on it.

infact he ran regular speaker wire in his surround setup behind the wall.

Just because an inspector didn't have him pull it out, didn't mean it was not against code. In fact, many of those they don't even pull a permit - so I'm not surprised an inspector didn't say anything.

You need to have anything that goes inside the wall be in-wall rated. CL2, CL3, CM, are all common ratings for this type of wire. It is typically not any more expensive. Why does it matter? Should a fire of any type happen, I would hate to give your insurance company a reason not to pay...

Carl Fedders

Product Manager, Electronic Products

Coleman Cable

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.