AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be setting up the new system this weekend. Receiver does 130 W per channel RMS. Speakers are B&W's which are not the most sensitive so I will need some of that wattage to drive them.

I will be running most of the wore through walls amd through the attic. 16 or 14 gauge wire? Any decent wire available locally at a good price? Radio shack?

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
What ohm speakers? 8 ohm speakers can do wire lengths twice as long as 4ohm speakers of the same gauge.

Either way, I'd do Belden 5000ue 12/2 in wall. Cheap and works.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts
Everything you wanted to know is here .... SPEAKER WIRE . NOTE: All wiring should be rated for in-wall installation.

(**) 50 feet is the maximum recommended length for normal line cord or Romex solid copper wire.

See the explanation in the link provided titled "What about Wires Longer Than 50 Feet?".

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. My speakers are 8 ohm. I was just going to usr 16 Gauge Monster wire. Guess that won't work.

What's different with in wall rated wire...just more insulation?

·
Registered
4,866 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 /forum/post/18292217

Great info. My speakers are 8 ohm. I was just going to usr 16 Gauge Monster wire. Guess that won't work.

Monster isn't even 100% copper so it is even worse than its gauge suggests

·
Registered
25 Posts
what is a speaker wire brand that is appropriate? not trying to start a flame war here, but i didn't know that monster wasn't 100% copper. is this alarming enough to say "stay away from Monster!" or no?

in wall rated speaker wire has a slow burning insulator jacket.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpr13 /forum/post/18292217

Off the top of my head....

It has to do with building/fire codes and on top of being up to code, its just a wise thing to do. The CL ratings certify the wire as having certain slow burn and/or low smoke and/or less toxic smoke characteristics. Basically meaning if your house catches fire, they won't aid burning it down/killing you as quickly as non in wall rated wires would.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
monoprice is closed right now.

bluejeanscanle carries belden 5000 at 10g and 12g but costs more than monoprice

I like canare star quad but they are not in wall rated

·
Registered
4,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18291252

the in-wall rating you will be looking for is the National Electric Code (NEC) CL2 and/or CL3 rating. Lowes or Home Depot should have it, 14 gauge minimum, 12 gauge if you want the "extra" insurance of very low internal resistance losses.

Typically the in-wall rated wiring is two conductors (red/black) inside an insulating sheath. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=100-740

Agreed. Since Monoprice is down, go with HD/Lowes.

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
The "Carol" brand wiring I linked to above is USA made wire and fully in compliance with the NEC codes for in-wall wiring. It's not a "brand" thing....it a quality issue and compliance with a national code which controls all residental and commerical electrical wiring in the US. Both Lowes and Home Depot should have something very similar, as would any electrical supply house. Bottom line...copper is copper. In this case it all comes down to the diameter of the copper (gauge) and the quality of the insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts