AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There should be a big box waiting for me when I get home from Partsexpress with my speaker wire. Besides using double the speaker wire, is there any negatives to running two runs to each speaker location?

· Registered
1,363 Posts
No, but I don't see any positives either, unless its for future expansion like bi-amping or somthing like that.

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by APorter
There should be a big box waiting for me when I get home from Partsexpress with my speaker wire. Besides using double the speaker wire, is there any negatives to running two runs to each speaker location?
Does you speakers have two sets of binding posts on the back? Are you running (a)receiver only or (b)receiver/amp setup? With option (a) you can bi-wire your speakers, and depending on the number of channels on the receiver you could bi-amp. Option (b) allows for passive bi-amping. If you want too bi-wire take a run of wire:

eg: ==========

twist the one end together to get

-----------=========

Say to want to bi-wire you Front Left you would plug the single end into the + terminal on the back of the receiver for the corresponding speaker and the other end into both "+" terminals on the speakers. Do the same for the "-" terminals. Just remember to remove the connecting plate between terminals on the back of the speakers. Hope this helps with your setup

Now if your talking about running 2 runs of wire to speakers with single terminals, this would be the same as getting a thicker gauge wire.

If your interested in more info on the merits of bi-wire/bi-amp(passive or active) do a search of the forum and you'll come up with lots of info. Be warned there are those who believe in its results and others who don't. I personally passively bi-amp my Front Left/Right speakers with AR Master Series 10AWG.

Kevin

· Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I was thinking that the extra run would be there in case something happened to the first run. Speaker wire in bulk is pretty cheap, so I saw this as an alternative to running the blue flex conduit to each speaker location.

· Registered
1,930 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by APorter
Well I was thinking that the extra run would be there in case something happened to the first run. Speaker wire in bulk is pretty cheap, so I saw this as an alternative to running the blue flex conduit to each speaker location.
Unless you got something eating away at the wire in wall, or you use non oxygen free and it starts too oxidize real bad then there is no need. Personally I'd run the blue flex conduit stuff. As technology changes and you get new gear with great new features it may come in handy down the road if you have to run more wire.

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.