AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello gents. I would like to know what you guys think about speaker wire size, does it really makes any difference? I have 16g and was thinking of swaping to 14g. Will I notice any difference?

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a couple of great articles in the sticky up top under "Setting up your Home Theater 101" that really helped me. I just purchased all the equipment for my first setup, and I bought 12AWG...

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshik /forum/post/18214267

hello gents. I would like to know what you guys think about speaker wire size, does it really makes any difference? I have 16g and was thinking of swaping to 14g. Will I notice any difference?

The relevant questions are:

How long are the speaker cables?

What is the impedance of the speaker load?

How much loss is acceptable to you?

This is a pretty conservative but useful table:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

If you stay within those recommendations, you are WELL within the "never going to make a difference" range.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/18214590

The relevant questions are:

How long are the speaker cables?

What is the impedance of the speaker load?

How much loss is acceptable to you?

This is a pretty conservative but useful table:
http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm#wiretable

If you stay within those recommendations, you are WELL within the "never going to make a difference" range.

well the front wires (F,L,C speaker) are about 6-9ft long, and the Rear (FR,FL) are about 25ft, 35ft long

about the rest I have no idea, I don't even know what those things are (impedance, load, etc)

I just find out what impedance of my speaker is 8oms. Thanks for the linky

·
Registered
6,156 Posts

Quote:
about the rest I have no idea, I don't even know what those things are (impedance, load, etc)

Generally what's listed on a speaker spec sheet is "nominal impedance," which is what the Roger Russell chart is based on. Your speakers are probably 8-ohm, so 16 AWG should be good for up to 48 feet. I seriously doubt you'd hear any difference at all switching your rears to 16 gauge, and switching your fronts would definitely be pointless.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so In my case it won't make any difference if I were to use 16 vs the 14gage?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus /forum/post/18216918

Generally what's listed on a speaker spec sheet is "nominal impedance," which is what the Roger Russell chart is based on. Your speakers are probably 8-ohm, so 16 AWG should be good for up to 48 feet. I seriously doubt you'd hear any difference at all switching your rears to 16 gauge, and switching your fronts would definitely be pointless.

you beat me to my own conclusion, thank that is what my thoughts were too.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshik /forum/post/18216924

so In my case it won't make any difference if I were to use 16 vs the 14gage?

Most likely not. If you already have 16 gauge in place, I wouldn't bother changing it.

If you don't, and are considering which wire to buy, I would probably just buy 14 or 12 gauge just out of principle. It's not like wire is very expensive anyway, and I prefer to have overkill generally. I suppose if you're really pinching pennies 16ga is totally fine to save a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshik /forum/post/18214267

No.

·
Registered
9,370 Posts
I agree with the other posters, but would add that if you stumble onto a larger gauge cable for a great price, it won't make anything worse.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts