AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most elegant (appearance wise solution) to running speaker wire thru a wall. I am looking for an aestically pleasing solution. This is going in a Luxury Suite in an Arena so there is a large deposit involved. Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
In most situations, the wire will run inside the wall until it gets to the equipment. At the point where it gets to the equipment it would exit the wall, and should be hidden by the equipment. The best means for terminating the exit is to use the appropriate cover plate, e.g. a speaker post binding plate. Leviton makes them, if you need something for 5 speaker surround sound, you may want to look at the Elan speaker patch plates. For single wire exits, and something smaller and less conspicuous, you can use a thru-bushing. You can find them at home depot in the CATV section and paint them to match the wall. If your question is how to run along a wall, then there are some wire raceway moldings that are really nice like the ones from www.wallpals.com.

Hope I understood your question correctly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello Mark,

I've been working in sales and installations for over 10 years. I second John's suggestion to use a wall plate in this situation. It gives your project a neat professional look that your clients will be very happy with. There available at most home theater stores(selection varies from store-to-store) and most have gold plated connectors that look very nice. Just my $.02

P.S. Is the wire your going to use in the wall specifically made for custom installations?(NEC GRADED)

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am grateful for your replies & now armed with the correct vocabulary , I was looking for a really nice single-wire thru-bushing solution. The Speaker will cover it , but I want to tread very lightly with the Arena Personnel. They are already a tad concerned about the appearance of 4 Diva Swans 5.1's and a C-3

Center Channel! Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
283 Posts
Here's the info on the through-bushing available at Home Depot.

Manufacturer: RCA

SKU#: 114541

UPC Code #: 079000308812

That should be enough information for them to help you find it.

You can take a look at it on their website at www.homedepot.com, just type in the SKU# in the search box.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks,

In the past & for larger RGBHV video cable runs I have used a 2 piece RCA Product made of Black Plastic that fits in a 2" hole. I like the fact that you can adjust the size of the opening with the snap cover. I was hoping for a much smaller diameter non plastic , really nice looking solution. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
134 Posts
I saw these the other day, and really liked the

idea then it struck me:

If I run all my speaker wire in-wall before the

drywall goes up, how do I install the bushing later? Assuming I acurately marked the location

of my now covered speaker wire, how do I pull the wire thru the bushing and into the room?

I must be missing something. Help?

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by 8_ball
I saw these the other day, and really liked the

idea then it struck me:

If I run all my speaker wire in-wall before the

drywall goes up, how do I install the bushing later? Assuming I acurately marked the location

of my now covered speaker wire, how do I pull the wire thru the bushing and into the room?

I must be missing something. Help?
Easy! Your wall studs should be on standard 16" centers. Allow the wire to drop all the way to the floor and then about a foot more. just record the wall "cell" where the wire is. You only need be within that 16" section for accuracy. When the painters are done drill your 2" hole. Fashion a hook out of a wire coat hanger. Dig around inside the wall until you catch the wire and pull it through. If the walls are not insulated, this is very easy. A bit more difficult with insulation but still realitivily easy.

Another tip: If the bushinngs are a loose fit in the drywall put a few dabs of contsruction adhesive on the cut drywall edge. Don't put any on the bushing ring or it will ooze out into the room.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
WAIT A MINUTE:

Is this a "box" suite in a sports arena? If so you may have quite a few problems here.

1) Union juristictions. They may require the arena electricians or AV deaprtment do this type of work.

2) Code. This is a large public place of gathering. No where are building and electrical codes stricter for obvious reasons. The speaker wire either has to be CL2P rated or in metal conduit. Standard electrical boxes will be required for termination.

Better check this out, espicially #2. The leasing people may not be aware of the code issues but no doubt the re-model will be inspected and running raw non-rated wire through the walls is not going to pass. Doesn't matter that it's a low voltage speaker. They are worried about toxic fumes if the plastic insulation on the wire burns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.