AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to run the wire from my receiver to the subwoofer under carpeting, the same thing I did for my rear speakers. I have a lot of flat speaker wire. Is there such a thing as speaker wire to RCA plug connector? Can I make one soldering the "+" wire to the center plug, and the "-" wire to the outer? I'd really like to use my existing flat speaker wire if possible.

-- Scott

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
If your receiver has a sub out (or pre-amp out), use that...

If you use speaker wire out, connect speaker wire in...

If you match either on neither, go get a line-out converter (converts speaker wire (high level) to rca (low level); these are found at auto sound shops (even Walmart has one)).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My receiver has a sub out, and the subwoofer has the sub in rca connections. I was hoping I could convert to an rca jack on both sides of the speaker wire, one connection for receiver, the other for the sub. Seems like I may need to go to plan B or C. Move the sub closer to the receiver, or just connect the sub with a cable over the carpet when I want to use the sub.

-- Scott

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjncdogsrule
My receiver has a sub out, and the subwoofer has the sub in rca connections. I was hoping I could convert to an rca jack on both sides of the speaker wire, one connection for receiver, the other for the sub. Seems like I may need to go to plan B or C. Move the sub closer to the receiver, or just connect the sub with a cable over the carpet when I want to use the sub.

-- Scott
Speaker wire with "connectors" will work; but, you are better off using a better conductor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm actually doing this for the same reasons you mentioned. It works OK, but I do get a little bit of 60Hz hum from my sub. Now that I've upgraded from my Klipsch KSW-10 to an SVS PB12-ISD I'm gonna have to upgrade the cabling as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
How did this end up working for you? I am thinking im going to just use my speaker wire which has already been ran and terminate one color of it to an RCA jack. Then do the same on the other. Is this bad??

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
You can use speaker wire with RCAs on the ends, but plain speaker wire is not shielded at all.

The longer the run, the greater your chances of having an interference problem.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim
You can use speaker wire with RCAs on the ends, but plain speaker wire is not shielded at all.

The longer the run, the greater your chances of having an interference problem.

I guess inwall speaker wire would be a bit better??

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapdiggs
I guess inwall speaker wire would be a bit better??
In wall is more likely to cross electrical wires. 60Hz hum.

·
Registered
1 Posts
all wires no matter what, run on positive and negative..... so if you strip and look at an RCA wire it will have copper wires on the outside of a plastic shielding and wires on the inside of the shielding.......the ones on the out side is your negativeor pull wires..... the ones on the inside are your positive or your push wires..... one thing that I have learned in all of my years of electronics.... is that no matter what.... all you have is push and pull..... manual labor..... LMAO......

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Use the rca cable for the subwoofer and Use speaker wire for the speakers because if you use unshielded wires with your sub connected to the rca ins and outs you will pick up interference and if you get audio feedback you can ruin the subwoofer for sure , and I have seen this happen before with a friend of mine that did the same thing and he screwed up his jbl sub with the same thing you asked about...

·
Banned
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneckfireman86
all wires no matter what, run on positive and negative..... so if you strip and look at an RCA wire it will have copper wires on the outside of a plastic shielding and wires on the inside of the shielding.......the ones on the out side is your negativeor pull wires..... the ones on the inside are your positive or your push wires..... one thing that I have learned in all of my years of electronics.... is that no matter what.... all you have is push and pull..... manual labor..... LMAO......

OMG...you actually have experience with electronics...and posted that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.