AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to make sure I got this right. I can just go to home depot and buy copper lamp wire to use as speakers cable and that would be fine? I'm connecting some Energy RC-mini's which are 8 ohm speakers to an Onkyo TX-SR604. The distance is roughly 24 feet. If that is the case, would 16 gauge wire be ok?

Also, can I do the same for a subwoofer? I'm relocating it and would love to go under a rug rather than around the room.

Thank you!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
Don't know if you mean under permanent carpeting or throw/area rug. You might want to consider going around, or using flat wire/tape. Also, for the small difference in cost, I'd bump up to 14 or even 12 gage. Especially if you do intend on subjecting it to traffic.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two parts to the questions. The speaker wire question and the subwoofer question, both relate to copper wiring that I can purchase from home depot. I'm running wire now for the living room and ran out. So rather than running to best best to buy overproced monster cable, I will go to homedepot to purchase 16 gauge lamp wire.

As for the subwoofer, I'm placing it elsewhere which would require a longer run.. My thinking was while I'm at home depot, can I do the same? Yes, I would be placing the subwoofer on the other side of where it resides now, which would require a much longer run, about 33 feet. However, if I can go under the area rug, it would be great. Also, if I can get flat wire would be better, but not sure if I can insert an rca for a flat wire.

Taping to the floor is a great idea, either way.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
29,108 Posts
If you're connecting a powered sub you need a RCA cable, not regular speaker wire. If you don't have time to purchase one from monoprice.com, you can just use RG-59 or RG-60 coaxial cable. Same type of coaxial cable for your TV, then put RCA connectors on the end.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...r5&R=100546242

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...r5&R=100555733

Of course this is cheaper at monoprice.com

25ft subwoofer cable
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

50 ft

35ft with fancy connectors

·
Registered
158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMX /forum/post/16965054

There are two parts to the questions. The speaker wire question and the subwoofer question, both relate to copper wiring that I can purchase from home depot. I'm running wire now for the living room and ran out. So rather than running to best best to buy overproced monster cable, I will go to homedepot to purchase 16 gauge lamp wire.

As for the subwoofer, I'm placing it elsewhere which would require a longer run.. My thinking was while I'm at home depot, can I do the same? Yes, I would be placing the subwoofer on the other side of where it resides now, which would require a much longer run, about 33 feet. However, if I can go under the area rug, it would be great. Also, if I can get flat wire would be better, but not sure if I can insert an rca for a flat wire.

Taping to the floor is a great idea, either way.

Thanks again!

If you're running wire through walls I'd use 14 gauge. The reason is that if you should ever change your speakers to 4 ohm, you wouldn't need to change the wiring. 14g is only slightly more expensive than 16g.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter White /forum/post/16965231

If you're running wire through walls I'd use 14 gauge. The reason is that if you should ever change your speakers to 4 ohm, you wouldn't need to change the wiring. 14g is only slightly more expensive than 16g.

If you run the wire through the wall, then you need to make certain it's CL-2 or CL-3 rated for in wall use. Using the clear jacket zip cord type speaker wire is against all wiring codes in the US AND Canada.

Should there be a fire at any time down the road and it's discovered that you have wiring in the home against code (even if it's not the cause of the fire), then your insurance company has the right to deny the claim. Not saying they will, but they can.

You can also buy 14 AWG CL-2/3 speaker wire at HD.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you, John! Will do that. Off hand, is the CL-2/3 any thicker than the regular wire? What I'm doing is going through a wall, which is basically still in the wall. So thanks for that tip.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMX /forum/post/16965566

Thank you, John! Will do that. Off hand, is the CL-2/3 any thicker than the regular wire? What I'm doing is going through a wall, which is basically still in the wall. So thanks for that tip.

Yes, it's a bit thicker than regular wire because of the extra shielding.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadriverfalls /forum/post/16965815

Yes, it's a bit thicker than regular wire because of the extra shielding.

As almost all speaker wire does-not have an electrical shield, Probably a better term is "sheath". Cable does not need to have a thick sheath for a Cl-2/3 rating, but being a more expensive cable a thicker sheath might be expected.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by James W. Johnson /forum/post/16965537

I will not so much as listen to a pair of speakers hooked up with less than a $2000 pair of cables. Forget it.

Never listen to a $2000 pair of cables, but I can say I upgraded to silver chain wire and it made a huge difference. Def not $2000 though, that just means you have money to burn.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvag /forum/post/16968038

Never listen to a $2000 pair of cables, but I can say I upgraded to silver chain wire and it made a huge difference. Def not $2000 though, that just means you have money to burn.

Yeah, I always use speaker cable as a filter as well. Best place in the chain to remove unwanted parts of the music.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedskater /forum/post/16967416

As almost all speaker wire does-not have an electrical shield, Probably a better term is "sheath". Cable does not need to have a thick sheath for a Cl-2/3 rating, but being a more expensive cable a thicker sheath might be expected.

Correct, shielding was the wrong term.... my bad. It has double the amount of insulation (each conductor is insulated) and has a thicker jacket (also insulation) than regular zip cord type speaker wire. Sort of like zip cord within another outer jacket. Symantics really since the relevance was in the details of the question.... "is it thicker?" And the answer is still the same.... yes.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvag /forum/post/16968038

Yes, it made a huge difference...in your wallet.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyMX /forum/post/16964792

Just wanted to make sure I got this right. I can just go to home depot and buy copper lamp wire to use as speakers cable and that would be fine? I'm connecting some Energy RC-mini's which are 8 ohm speakers to an Onkyo TX-SR604. The distance is roughly 24 feet. If that is the case, would 16 gauge wire be ok?

Also, can I do the same for a subwoofer? I'm relocating it and would love to go under a rug rather than around the room.

Thank you!!

for that distance you want to use 14 gauge minimum, 12 would be even better.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.