AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an onkyo hts6300 and the wires that came with it aren't long enough. I know nothing about speaker cable and would appreciate any advice.

What gauge would be the best, any recommended brands, or any brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtotheizzo /forum/post/19649068

I bought an onkyo hts6300 and the wires that came with it aren't long enough. I know nothing about speaker cable and would appreciate any advice.

What gauge would be the best, any recommended brands, or any brands to stay away from?

Thanks in advanced.

Back in the day I would just go to tweeter and they had a huge roll of wire I could get 75 ft for $15 or so. I would look around your area for any audio shops and see if they still do this. Stay away from overpriced Monster cables. Maybe try monoprice or amazon.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
The lower the number the thicker the wire.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandu /forum/post/19650389

Home Depot and Lowes also have generic 12ga speaker wire in their bulk wire area.

And lamp cord

I'm sure it is better now but the first batch of speaker wire I got from Home Depot (few years ago now) was really stiff with really stiff jacketing. It was a nightmare to split and strip and it oxidized quite quickly.

Monoprice speaker wire on the hand seems to be of good quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.