AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can see the light at the end of the tunnel with the build out of my dedicated 9 1/2 x 15 x 21 1/2 HT. Its time to start considering speaker wire

What size and type did you use and any good sources. I will need about 220 ft.

I will be using Paradigm studio 100’s for fronts at 180 watts / channel

12 gage wire just doesn’t look that heavy.

thanks Alex ( I can’t believe I am doing this )

·
Registered
190 Posts
Alex,

speaker wire is something that will depend on your budget. I ended up using 10 gauge in-wall insulated Monster cable for the rears and sides as well as a run into another room. As far as wire gauge, that is more than enough. Cost was around $1.50 ft. If you are looking for something more high end, Transparent cable makes a beautiful in wall speaker wire for $6.25 ft. These are Canadian prices.

All in all, it will depend on what you want to spend. In my humble opinion, it is next to impossible to tell the difference in audio quality in a home theater environment by the wire you are using. Two channel is a different story.

Just my thoughts.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Plain old stranded electrical wire. That's what the world or professional audio uses for speaker wire. The expensive stuff is for audiophools who fall for the nonsense marketing. The clear 'zip cord' from WalMart or RatShack works as well as anything on the market. Buy a few DVD's with the money you'll save. Or your S.O. a nice dinner out. :)

Ron Yost

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Alex, 12 ga. is heavy enough for anything up to 300 watts/channel and/or up to 100 feet or so.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Alex,

I'm with Larry and the others that most any 12ga is fine. Just make sure it's CL2/CL3 rated if it will be used in-wall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for your advice, 12 gage it is!!! I am so happy to save some money too!!! Hopefully I will be posting pictures and helping others with their Home theaters soon!

Thanks again

Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.