AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm basically looking to have 4 pairs of speakers @ 8ohms hooked into 2 Crown XLS 1000's. Then I'm also looking to have 2 pairs of those speakers, plus a center channel, hooked up into a 5.1 receiver as well.

I'm told this was possible with some automated switching?

Basically what I'd like to have is if I'm just playing stereo music or watching a football game, have the receiver not output sound to the speakers, but instead just allow the Crown Amps to do so, because they have higher power output. Then when I'm watching a movie, have the 5.1 receiver powering the speakers.

Is there a way to do this?

Also, my thought with getting 2 amps, each driving 2 pairs is so there is a 4ohm load (each speaker is 8ohms). I originally was planning on putting 3 speakers per channel, parallel getting like a 2.3 ohm load, which the amp will handle, but I've been told it won't sound as good and the amp might overwork itself.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Hard to tell exactly what your mojo is – you mentioned using 4 pairs of speakers for the Crown in the first paragraph, but only 3 pairs in the last paragraph?

In any event, it’s a bad idea to connect two amplifiers to a single speaker in any way, shape or form. There is no “automated” system for something like this. If you accidentally have both of those amps feeding signal to the speaker at the same time, it could ruin one or both them.

Your best bet is to use two amplifiers for two speaker-pairs each. Amp A would be driving the pair you want to double for HT duty. Amp A would also have the second pair of speakers wired through a speaker-level switch, so you could turn them off when not needed. Amp B would carry the other two pairs, and would remain turned off until needed. When party time comes, you’d switch Amp A’s second pair, turn on Amp B, and rock ’n’ roll.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts