AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 year old Sony Stereo and speaker which works just fine and I love the sound (i.e., I don't want to buy a new set-up).

The problem is my speaker wire is too short to reach the bookcase where I want them. For years I had one speaker on the floor, but now I'm moving the stereo (which is too deep to fit into the bookcase) even further from the bookcase. The speakers are not the kind where you just pull it out of a connection. I can't even figure out how to get the back off the speaker where the wire leads to. Clearly, I'm a novice, but I'm afraid to go in with a screwdriver on my own. I'm hoping someone has some step by step advice. Also, I'll need about 20 feet of wire - suggestions on what kind to buy? Finally, any special tools that I'll need? Many thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
just to make sure that we understand. the speaker wire goes directly into the speaker with no connection? it was this way when you purchased it? was this a HTIB?

depending on the equipment you may just splice in some wire where you need it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A friend of mine suggested the same, but someone else told my you lose quality. Another person told me I could solder the wire. There is a proper connector going into the stereo - but it doesn't seem to be the case into the speaker. Should I just try to pry the back off and see what's there? I'm pretty handy with some things -- pretty clearly not with this though.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjones0404 /forum/post/15471113

just to make sure that we understand. the speaker wire goes directly into the speaker with no connection? it was this way when you purchased it? was this a HTIB?

depending on the equipment you may just splice in some wire where you need it.

Simply splicing it should work. Those old hard wired speakers were usually pretty low quality anyway, I doubt the audio quality will be diminished. You shouldn't need to solder it, just cut the wire, strip it, twist the bare wires together and wrap in electrical tape. Try it, if it doesn't work then you can tear the back off and just install new wires.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for HTIB answer. As you can see, I'm operating on a different level than everyone here. It's just a simple set-up CD, radio, even cassette. Does that qualify as HTIB?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...oh, forgot one more question - do I have to use the same gauge wire as what's already in place?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by langlie /forum/post/15471230

Thanks for HTIB answer. As you can see, I'm operating on a different level than everyone here. It's just a simple set-up CD, radio, even cassette. Does that qualify as HTIB?

Not really. Here is the definition from wikipedia. "A 'home theater in a box' (HTIB) is an integrated home theater package which 'bundles' together a combination DVD player/ multi-channel amplifier (which includes a surround sound decoder, a radio tuner, and other features), speaker wires, connection cables, a remote control, a set of five or more surround sound speakers (or more rarely, just left and right speakers) and a low-frequency subwoofer."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTIB

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by langlie /forum/post/15471247

...oh, forgot one more question - do I have to use the same gauge wire as what's already in place?

Just get something close, it shouldn't matter much with those speakers. Many years ago I had a similar system from Panasonic. It included an AM/FM tuner, 8-track player (yes, I'm that old) and two speakers that were hard wired the same way you describe. I spliced those speaker wires without a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts