Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

I am in the final stages of prepping my room for equipment. After the fiasco of drilling and mounting my front curtain rod through my lathe and plaster wall, I have decided I will NOT be running my surround speaker wire in-wall as I had planned.

That leaves me with the surface mount option for wire. I will be wall mounting the speakers - that at least is just a few screw holes versus a bigger hole for fishing wire. (Plaster and big holes = no fun)

Has anyone here used any of the flat adhesive backed speaker wire?

I was thinking of using that to go up the walls then over to the surrounds, and then tying the flat cable in to regular speaker wire for the remainder of the run.

Then I can paint over the flat wire on the wall.

I guess my main concern is being able to get bends in the flat wire - can it get into a 90 degree bend?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
It's not easy. You have to fold it over. Any crown moldings or baseboards? Any chance of coming through the ceiling?

Actually, I'm a little surprised that you're backing off from drilling. Did you crack the plaster? What are you using for a drill bit?

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Go to Lowes they have some really snuffy wire hiding cases. I used them in our rental house which has white walls, and ran it along the top of the baseboard. Cant even tell its there. It presses on with a sticky strip looks great and is wife approved. I think thet came in 4 or 6 foot sections and were placed right across the aisle from the wire rack in Lowes. Im sure Home Depot and others would have it also.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided not to go through the mess of drilling - as in one wall I discovered blocking halfway down the wall when I went in to run some cables for the 2nd zone on my receiver. wasted my time there and had to then do a bunch of repair work. Not worth it. Much easier to find a creative surface mount solution.

Going from the ceiling is not an option also. I think I will look into the baseboard idea - I already have a wiremold conduit down one side of the room for my video cabling ans the bulk of the speaker wire - I had just thought that that wire could terminate at an array of speaker connections in the rear of the room and from there I could run the flat wire along the baseboard and then up the walls for the SL, SB, and SR.

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Oh yeah, if you have a firebreak in the wall (those cross-studs), you got a problem. But check with a good stud finder - not all walls have them. I know of no way to get past one other than by going through wall and chiseling a channel. Well, one other way, but 6' drill bit extensions are hard to come by for the general public...

If you can tuck the surface mount wire down behind the baseboard, it may be your best bet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.