AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building a dedicated home theater addition on to my home.

My question is about speaker wiring.

I have a Definitive Technology system. The left/right/center all have powered subs as well as a separate SuperCube1.

I would like to split the LFE out from my receiver to all the 4 subs and run the wiring through the wall. Is there any inexpensive way to do this? I currently have my system setup this way and have been pleased with the performance, but my cable runs through the wall of the new theater room will be much longer and I would like to keep the cost down.

Also, since I don't want to see any of the wiring, I was going to install an a/c outlet behind the placement of each speaker. The problem with that is that I won't be able to plug the subs into a surge protector/line conditioner. Since I am running a dedicated line for the home theater, can I use a surge protector at the panel just for that circuit?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You can "daisy-chain" your 4 subs (wow!) from the receiver's LFE out, without any problems. Just use an ordinary RCA Y-adaptor at each sub.

LFE----------Y----------Y----------Y----------Y

(hope you get what I mean... LOL)

As for the surge protector, I do not see any problem in your plan. I agree that it is important to have a dedicated common AC line for all subwoofers, in order to avoid creating big ground loops, too.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Man, with 4 subs, I would think you need more than a single dedicated circuit. Keep in mind that at full load, a 20A circuit can handle 2400 watts, but if you load it that heavily, you will suffer some IR drop by the time your power gets to your last outlet. You might want to consider using (2) 20A circuits, or use 10 ga wire for your single circuit if you are confident you won't need more than 2400 watts.

As for the surge protector, you'll need one for each outlet. The cheap ones will work for you, so buying 4 shouldn't be excessively expensive.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Both Leviton and Hubbel make receptacles with built-in surge suppression. Check with a local electrical supplier.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I think I'll look into the receptacle with the built in surge suppression. That sounds like a great idea considering I want this installation to look as neat as possible. I'll check with my electrician about the 2nd circuit.

I read somewhere in another post that you can run RG59 or RG6 cable with an "F" type -RCA type adapter as a subwoofer cable. Since it is only carrying low frequencies, I guess that can work. It certainly would save a lot of money running that through the walls instead of Monster subwoofer cables.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Yes, any decent RF coax cables (or audio coax cables) should work. Type of connectors does not matter, either, as long as you can connect them. Forget about Monster. Their cables are simply repackaged, overpriced OEM products.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
Right, Sushi. Even quad shield is a waste. Use RG-59. It's thinner and more flexible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
using basic trip-lite surge protectors should suffice, they're good quality inexpensive surge protectors

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.