AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Instead of decoding and amplifying a digital audio stream in a receiver, and then turning it into an analog signal that runs through speaker cables to each speaker, wouldn't it be nice to just plug an Ethernet (and power) cable into a speaker, and let it do all of the decoding and amplifying?

An HTPC would be the controller and source of the digital audio stream. I imagine a web interface on the controller where one can assign which channel each speaker would decode. One could also place these speakers in different rooms and play the same audio stream, or assign different audio streams to different rooms. The possibilities seem endless once the decoder, amplifier and speaker are all in one package! Does such a speaker exist???

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Bluetooth, baby! Many mfrs are waking up to the fact that the main value-add of a short-distance wireless protocol like Bluetooth is cable replacement. With any luck, in 5 years you won't have to worry about hiding cables.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The new Dynaudio uses ethernet....too bad they're ugly speakers:)

Nich

·
Registered
190 Posts
We may be close to what you want. There are now true digital amplifiers available. As this technology matures, placement of a high quality amp in the speaker cabinet will become more common. I'm not sure that ethernet will be the input means, but it's possible as is wireless. I haven't seen any news on this subject from CES but I hope there was significant progress this year.

Mike

·
Registered
976 Posts
My boss at work has the Dynaudio surround setup speakers for his studio which have the ethernet ports.. I must say they sound pretty nice..

Its kinda weird how they work too.. One speaker is the controller or something and the other works off that.. i forget exactly how it works but its something like that..

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took a look at the Dynaudio Air speakers. Not sure that it needs to be so complicated (3 Ethernet ports on each speaker!?!). As I was pondering this more today, I changed my mind. What might be even better than an amp+speaker setup is to have a high quality, mono digital amplifier/receiver with an Ethernet port (and a wireless connection) in several flavors (50W, 100W, 200W) so that we can all use our favorite speakers. The device could sit underneath or behind the speaker where it is not visible, or near the power outlet.

Thanks for the response to my inquiry! I feel like digital audio should have progressed more over the last five or so years. I remember when I was recording audio on my computer 14 years ago—I was 11 years old and had just purchased my first Sound Blaster Pro sound card.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
The trick is to get all the units synchronized to play the correct samples at the same time. You basically need some form of time synchronization between the independent network nodes and a clever playback buffer to deal with retransmissions.

Not an easy problem to solve.

Edited: Could anyone post a link to the dynaudio speakers with Ethernet?

Cheers

Thomas

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hm,

what Dynaudio uses there is not exacty Ethernet or am I missing something?

It looks like they use Ethernet connector but not an Ethernet protocol? Collisions and variable length packets in a multi-sender configuration make clock distribution somewhat of a challenge. This looks like a dedicated wire with a single sender.

Cheers

Thomas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.