AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for speakers/bookshelf speakers (building a new 2.0 system with not more than US 1,200 to 1,500 budget). Which brand do you think has the best tweeters (brightness, detail, clarity, brightness...etc.)? Thank you.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
I am in the market for speakers/bookshelf speakers (building a new 2.0 system with not more than US 1,200 to 1,500 budget). Which brand do you think has the best tweeters (brightness, detail, clarity, brightness...etc.)? Thank you.
The JBL 530's currently on sale are a great choice.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Problem is; that is very subjective. Do you have an shops they you can audition some speakers to see what sound you prefer?

Horn loaded speakers fall into the "bright" category.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
I would get the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2EX with the highly regarded RAAL tweeter, Currently on sale for $1448 plus $40 shipping.

Get them while they are on sale. On sale for a limited time only, :)

·
Registered
809 Posts
The RAAL tweeter is very highly regarded, so I'd put the Ascend Sierra 2EX on your list. At their current sale price they just fit in your budget. Have not heard these myself but have heard the RAAL in the BMRs, which I really love.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
I'd say AMT, some would say RAAL, others, domes etc. etc. etc.

As you are in the US you can take advantage of Crutchfield's excellent $10/box returns on stand mount speakers within 60 days and decide for yourself before moving on to speakers with RAAL tweeters that don' have as favorable return policies if not satisfied.

Wharfedale Evo 4.2 = AMT 3 way

Martin Logan 35XTi = AMT 2 way

Revel Performa3 M105 = Aluminum dome 2 way

Wharfedale Linton Heritage = Textile dome 3 way

All but the Linton Heritage would likely need a subwoofer in play, but perhaps not depending on your desire for very deep bass.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The JBL 530's currently on sale are a great choice.
I am familiar with JBL 530's. They are indeed very affordable with their Black Friday price. I am afraid that they might cause ear fatigue. I know people who rave about them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem is; that is very subjective. Do you have an shops they you can audition some speakers to see what sound you prefer?

Horn loaded speakers fall into the "bright" category.
I am going to audition Golden Ear Technology speakers this week. Other than that, the options are limited.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd say AMT, some would say RAAL, others, domes etc. etc. etc.

As you are in the US you can take advantage of Crutchfield's excellent $10/box returns on stand mount speakers within 60 days and decide for yourself before moving on to speakers with RAAL tweeters that don' have as favorable return policies if not satisfied.

Wharfedale Evo 4.2 = AMT 3 way

Martin Logan 35XTi = AMT 2 way

Revel Performa3 M105 = Aluminum dome 2 way

Wharfedale Linton Heritage = Textile dome 3 way

All but the Linton Heritage would likely need a subwoofer in play, but perhaps not depending on your desire for very deep bass.
Thanks for suggesting Crutchfield, they do have a consumer friendly business model with their return policy. Possibly the best return policy after Costco. I am familiar with the speakers you have listed above.

·
Banned
111 Posts
I would get the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-2EX with the highly regarded RAAL tweeter, Currently on sale for $1448 plus $40 shipping.

I've thought about getting a pair of these Sierra-2/EX but then I read that ribbon speakers have a sweet spot and vertical dispersion is not good. Is this true with most ribbon speakers?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The RAAL tweeter is very highly regarded, so I'd put the Ascend Sierra 2EX on your list. At their current sale price they just fit in your budget. Have not heard these myself but have heard the RAAL in the BMRs, which I really love.
I have read that RAAL tweeter is very highly regarded. They are good, no doubt but I am not sure if they are the best. It seems to me that ribbon tweeters (they are called by different names sometimes) are nice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

These are the only speakers, as far as I know, that are not made in China.

·
Banned
111 Posts
There are a few not made in China but not many. Focal, Canton and maybe a couple others. I've looked pretty hard and almost all bookshelf speakers are made in China. I really want to try these Ascend speakers but just not sure about the ribbon tweeter.

·
Registered
22,719 Posts
Might want to take a look at Dynaudio speakers; made in Denmark.

RAAL tweeters are made in Serbia and many US boutique makers using them use Scanspeak main drivers which are made in Denmark.

Selah, Salk, Philharmonic Audio, Ascend are the boutique makers using RAAL that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
9,972 Posts
I am familiar with JBL 530's. They are indeed very affordable with their Black Friday price. I am afraid that they might cause ear fatigue. I know people who rave about them.
Highly unlikely. The tweeter response sinks like a stone above 14khz.

The B&W 607S2 anniversary and the Kef LS50 Meta both have the attributes you're looking for.

Reactions: JoeSapien

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might want to take a look at Dynaudio speakers; made in Denmark.

RAAL tweeters are made in Serbia and many US boutique makers using them use Scanspeak main drivers which are made in Denmark.

Selah, Salk, Philharmonic Audio, Ascend are the boutique makers using RAAL that I'm aware of.
How do the RAAL tweeters sound?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
May want to check out the Polk Legend L100 or L200 bookshelf speakers. Very nice tweeter on these speakers. I would purchase from Crutchfield as the price is good and you can return if you don't like them.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
May want to check out the Polk Legend L100 or L200 bookshelf speakers. Very nice tweeter on these speakers. I would purchase from Crutchfield as the price is good and you can return if you don't like them.
Thank you, Nio. For that kind of dough, I would probably go with a different brand. Polk reminds me of Polk High School of the famous Al Bundy.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
You should consider things other than the tweeter type/material. Good overall engineering and design is very important. A loudspeaker consists of drivers, crossovers and a cabinet - all are important. Research shows most people prefer neutral on and off axis response. Revel speakers use aluminum domes that sound very good. The Beryllium tweeter series are exceptional, but out of your price range (M126Be list price is $4,000/pair). Revel also uses tweeter waveguides and crossover designs that yield a seamless transition from high to midrange frequencies and the waveguide provides wide dispersion and smooth off axis response. Think of a speaker as "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts". Revel M106 are great speakers, list price $2,000/pair.

1 - 20 of 524 Posts