AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm starting to investigate in wall speakers prior to drywall installation. I know nothing about surround sound and have never purchased speakers in my life. I just want to watch TV and have decent sound. I'm a little hard of hearing already, so my ears aren't all that sensitive to begin with.

I stopped at my local A/V store to get some recommendations for flush mounted speakers. The salesman recommended SpeakerCraft AIM Series.

My budget allows $1,000 for 5 speakers. The AIM7 Two for rear speakers and AIM7 MT Two front and center can be purchased for about $875

I've installed Isomax clips and hat channel on the ceiling along with 10" of insulation in the floor joists above. I've installed this primarily to reduce noise from above. When my wife wears heels and is walking on the wooden floors above, the noise drives my crazy! I'm not trying to build an accoustical chamber for a fancy home theater. Just want something better than what I have, which is sound coming from the TV speakers.

I'll primarily be watching TV on a new 50" plasma once the room is completed. The size of the space is approximately 25' x 12' with the TV centered in the 25' wall.

I'm looking for opinions on the SpeakerCraft brand, or if my money is best spent on something else.

Thanks!

JJ

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping Jack OH /forum/post/0

Hello,

I'm in the process of finishing my basement and I'm starting to investigate in wall speakers prior to drywall installation. I know nothing about surround sound and have never purchased speakers in my life. I just want to watch TV and have decent sound. I'm a little hard of hearing already, so my ears aren't all that sensitive to begin with.

I stopped at my local A/V store to get some recommendations for flush mounted speakers. The salesman recommended SpeakerCraft AIM Series.

My budget allows $1,000 for 5 speakers. The AIM7 Two for rear speakers and AIM7 MT Two front and center can be purchased for about $875

I've installed Isomax clips and hat channel on the ceiling along with 10" of insulation in the floor joists above. I've installed this primarily to reduce noise from above. When my wife wears heels and is walking on the wooden floors above, the noise drives my crazy! I'm not trying to build an accoustical chamber for a fancy home theater. Just want something better than what I have, which is sound coming from the TV speakers.

I'll primarily be watching TV on a new 50" plasma once the room is completed. The size of the space is approximately 25' x 12' with the TV centered in the 25' wall.

I'm looking for opinions on the SpeakerCraft brand, or if my money is best spent on something else.

Thanks!

JJ

I have Speakercraft AIM8 Fives for my HT system. Build quality is excellent on Speakercrafts. I highly recommend them. You can't go wrong with Speakercraft.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Mazer,

I have seen your positive comments on SpeakerCraft in a couple of threads. I am interested in them for home theater surrounds. Could you please take a look at my thread linked below and see what you think? How is the imaging? What I am concerned with is how well they will blend with the Def Tech I have. Also, where can you find them? Do they have a downloadable catalog? I find their website really annoying with the really small windows.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=781800

I posted pictures in my 5th and 10th comments in the thread.

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/0

Mazer,

I have seen your positive comments on SpeakerCraft in a couple of threads. I am interested in them for home theater surrounds. Could you please take a look at my thread linked below and see what you think? How is the imaging? What I am concerned with is how well they will blend with the Def Tech I have. Also, where can you find them? Do they have a downloadable catalog? I find their website really annoying with the really small windows.

Thanks,

Call or E-mail them for a dealer near you.

LB SALES

USA

(713) 524-9285

PERFORMANCE PLUS MARKETING

10703 E. Bethany Drive

Aurora, CO

USA

303 671 8900
[email protected]
http://www.perfplusmktg.com/

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/0

Mazer,

Thanks,

Hey I've seen your photos before. I've been following your thread.

I can't say how they will blend with your Def Tech's, but I can't see why they wouldn't blend.

From what I see in your photos it would be easy to install in-ceiling surrounds for a 7.1 system. But if you can use your side walls and rear pillars with Def Tech surround you would be better off. If doing this doesn't look good in your family room then in-ceilings are the way to go.

http://www.speakercraft.com/#Product...Catalog%202006

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have the AIM 8's in my basement thearter room. I use them for my two rear speakers. They sound great and the build quality is A+.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the reply's. Greatly appreciated!

I'm going to order the new construction brackets for the AIM series and plan on buying the speakers when ready.

JJ

·
Registered
2,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumping Jack OH /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply's. Greatly appreciated!

I'm going to order the new construction brackets for the AIM series and plan on buying the speakers when ready.

JJ

I went with the Speakercraft Sound Enclosures for my front 3 speakers. Brackets for the rears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts