AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am currently driving speakers in a small dedicated HT room with a Denon AVR 4802. I love the receiver and the amp power. However, the lack of HDMI and the complex touchy input selector on the receiver are killing me. I am looking for a mid level receiver with HDMI functionality, analog inputs, and analog pre outs. I don't care about 3D. The speakercraft vital series receivers were released last year. I currently use speakercraft in walls and have loved their sound and quality construction. The 910 receiver retails fro 1299 and seems to have everything I'm looking for. Unfortunately, I could only find one review online and wasn't sure about the source. I have three questions for the general public.

1. Has anybody had experience with this line or its sister platform the Proficient M80?

2. The Denon I currently have has a great amp. Processor units are usually over $2000. Is there any sense in keeping the Denon for use as a dedicated amp with line level inputs from a mid range HDMI capable receiver? Does this just add needless complexity and potentially hurt my audio signal?

This is a crowded market at this price range with attractive offerings by Yamaha (1000 series Aventage), Onkyo, Denon, H/K, Marantz, etc. I am open to any suggestions.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Can't be of much help, but you can use a receiver as an amp. It's not totally pointless, if for example you get a receiver with pre outs, and use some of it's amps, and some of the old receivers amps. The reason being that receiver power often seems limited by their power supplies. Driving less channels with a receiver's amp allows more power per channel up to a point.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts