AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI - My home theater is 11' x 14', with a 40" LCD TV & Panasonic Blu-Ray player. I currently have 2 small NHT speakers (either zeroes or ones, circa 199x) in the front and an unpowered sub in the back.

I want to add surround to the room since we have been watching more Blu-Ray movies.

I plan to upgrade my receiver to an Onkyo SR507. I suspect 80w/ch is sufficient. (yes?)

I plan to dump the subwoofer, and move the front speakers to the surround positions.

So I need 3 matched front speakers and a sub. with a total budget (for speakers) under $1K.

Or do I need 3? I'm happy with two speakers up front now, and the center speaker would go behind and above the set, while I watch from a low seat on the floor.

Because of the room layout the speakers should be on the small side. I'd like front L & R to be bookshelf size (under 12" high).

I've looked at NHT (of course), and Boston Acoustics (which appear to have good quality for the money).

What do you think of these options/issues? And where else should I look?

Thanks VERY much!

/j

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry to spam your post but I'm selling Classic 3's and a 3C in the classifieds.

I think you might be able to get something in the paradigm monitor series for ~1k. Though I'm not sure how much money you'd have left for a sub considering a decent ht sub is going to be probably around $4-500.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also SaturdayAudio.com is running a great sale on Monitor Audio and PSB speakers. I'm on the cusp of getting the MA RX series speakers to replace the NHTs hopefully.

I'd also look at av123, SVS and Axiom (M50s and V100)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all - I did some research...

Well , the SVS look interesting (if you can believe their website), and the price is good (though the $100 shipping is a bit off-putting...)

av123 - what a weird website - not for the efficient shopper- also, I don't like the looks (bright wood colors only, and no grille covers apparently?)

psb website is huge - what should I be looking for?

NHT classic 3 series looks interesting, but website is light on specs...

How about Aperionaudio (.com) - their system got a 2009 S/V editor choice award , and they have FREE SHIPPING both ways.....(makes the standard "30 day" trial more interesting if you're not putting $200 at risk in shipping).

Honestly, though - these all look pretty much the same, even with their freq. response graphs - is technology at this price point pretty much a commodity today?

thoughts? thanks!

/j

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
There are many options for what you are looking for. Getting a straight answer here is like asking someone in Daytona who's better, Ford, Chevy, or Dodge. Brand loyalty here is strong. I dont think you will go wrong with most of the internet direct sites. Ascend, SVS, HTD (home theater direct), HSU. Energy, Paradigm, Monitor, et al., are all very good, but might be more than you can get within your budget.

I did some work for you and came up with these which I think will all be better than what you currently have...

SCS-01(C/M) "Front three" speaker package* http://svsound.com/products-spks-scs01.cfm

Ascend 340's http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages...m/cmt340m.html

Home Theater Direct Level 2 5.1 system http://www.htd.com/cabinet-speakers/level-two-speakers

Those are just 3 examples that can all be had with a quality sub for under or at 1k.

Good luck

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried to significantly update my last post but not working - so here's the updated one

====================================

Thanks all - I did some research...

Well , the SVS look interesting (if you can believe their website), and the price is good (though the $100 shipping is a bit off-putting...), a bit larger than I'd like though.

av123 - what a weird website - not much in the way of tech data - also, I don't like the looks (bright wood colors only, and no grille covers apparently?) and a bit larger than I was hoping for

psb website is huge - what should I be looking for?

NHT classic 3 series is way too big (so please don't spam my post with off-topic products 8-}), only the Zero is small enough, and it seems perhaps too low-end (can't find posted specs, not even +-3db response)

How about Aperionaudio (.com) - their system got a 2009 S/V editor choice award , and they have FREE SHIPPING both ways.....(makes the standard "30 day" trial more interesting if you're not putting $200 at risk in shipping).

Aperion's stuff looks good, although their quoted freq responses aren't as good as SCS. Still, if it works ok as a -system- (i.e., sub covers a bit higher so sats don't have to go so low)....

Ascend didn't appear to have anything small.

HTD looks like another contender, though i wish they posted more specs (like 3db freq resp).

SCS does look like the best of the bunch, but

Honestly, though - these all look pretty much the same, even with their freq. response graphs - is technology at this price point pretty much a commodity today?

thoughts? thanks!

/j

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After more homework:

SVS - The best performance, but maybe a little too much speaker for my 11x14 room? I wish they were a bit smaller...

HTD - a good balance of performance and price. Others apparently agree, since they're out of stock until (sigh) May 8-{

Aperion - all their units have their low rolloff at a relatively high freq, which is concerning....

Boston Acoustics.... not bad, but great. don't know much about them though.

psb- found a small set - they're pricey though - $1500 for what I want (smallest compact speaker, smallest sub) and they don't appear to supply grilles?

av123 - their cheapest sub is 699, which takes the package up to 12-1300 or so. pricey! also - it's suspicious that the freq response curve they show for the elt525m doesn't go below 200Hz - why can't I see their rollofff...

I guess the SVS would work, though I wish the HTD was in stock. any other ideas?

THANKS!

/j

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love my Orb Audio setup with my sr605. Configurable pretty much to however you want to start, I'd at least start with dual center and fronts and I have their Super 8 sub which is really great but I do dream of their Uber Ten sub or the SVS pb12. They have some timbre matched systems under 1000. Seem to remember one of their HT sys was small HT speakers of the year in 2009 at a couple of the respected audiophile sites or mags. Been a couple years since I posted here and I don't remember if I can post links or not
Was mostly lurking back then
But I'll try. ====== Read some of the reviews or in the Orb Owners thread here at AVS.

Okay, no I can't post links yet :p Just google Orb Audio. Everyone has their own taste in how stuff sounds. The Orbs just really sound great to me. I'm about 1/2 music and 1/2 HT and that's one of the things I like about them, they do well for both. And you have 30 days to return them.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Below is a Sub made by Dayton... they are very popular in the DIY forums as they make great subwoofer plate amps and drivers... of course this one comes ready go.. check out the reviews.. it's be very hard to beat it for anywhere near the price.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-635

As far as speakers go... have you tried going to a Home Theater store??... you should be able to find one that has many popular brands such as B&W, Paradigm, Klipsch Reference, Def Tech etc. Many of these places also have listening rooms so you can audition in a more home like setting. You should be able to find a nice set of speakers from any on the above within you're price limit... but check out the subs carefully most subs from store brands are overpriced and under performers compared to what you get online.

As far as you're concerns about AV123... Yes their speakers have grills.. I own the Rocket 850 and I've never seen a more beautiful looking speaker for double what I paid. If you're unsure of prices call them... they are usually good about working on the price unless they're having one of their common huge sales.... here's the sale on the ELT525
http://www.**********//index.php?opt...d=51&Itemid=37 link doesn't work just go to AV123 .com and click on speakers then the ELT link.

It also comes in a darker rosewood (which is the finish my Rockets have) if you don't want the whole set call them and see what they can do for just the front three.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So you're saying don't worry about matching the sub to the sats - interesting, thanks

One problem I've just found is that in all the systems I've looked at, the subs are too big. It's an 11x14 family room. But the only place to hide the sub (and wife says we have to hide the sub) is behind the futon couch. I need one that is tall and narrow (so I can put it on it's side, and have it fire sideways, parallel to the couch, towards the corner).

If it's 9" wide it can be > 15" tall, or 14" x 10", or 12" x 12". but if the L and W exceed 12" I'm hosed.I've seen some that fit this, but they're down 3db (or sometimes 6db) at 35Hz so they're not really a sub.

Thanks for the suggestion on shopping, but I prefer to shop on specs, which is why the "missing" low-end specs on the ELT make me suspicious 8-} (and if I went with the ELT it would have to be the mini)

PSB -almost- has a set that makes the grade: Their Image B4/C4 are the size/price/performance I want, and their Sub-1 is (yea!) 9 x 13. If I could convince myself I'd be happy with a sub that's down 6db at 36Hz...

all ideas welcome 8-}

/j

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Umm - if they're not a commodity - then don't I -want- to look at specs? I suspect they're all pretty flat these days, but what i find differentiates the smaller bookshelves and subwoofers is the low-freq rolloff. If one speaker goes down to 60Hz and another rolls off at 120Hz, I would expect that I -will- notice that down the road. (same with a sub that rolls off at 40Hz rather than 25Hz).

What should I shop on if not specs? I suppose if I could hear all of them in my living room with my hand-picked material I might make some judgments, but i don't trust my ears in short testing like that. (and anyway - it's kinda moot, no good places to shop nearby)

/j

·
Registered
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffw_00 /forum/post/18141020

Umm - if they're not a commodity - then don't I -want- to look at specs? I suspect they're all pretty flat these days, but what i find differentiates the smaller bookshelves and subwoofers is the low-freq rolloff. If one speaker goes down to 60Hz and another rolls off at 120Hz, I would expect that I -will- notice that down the road. (same with a sub that rolls off at 40Hz rather than 25Hz).

What should I shop on if not specs? I suppose if I could hear all of them in my living room with my hand-picked material I might make some judgments, but i don't trust my ears in short testing like that. (and anyway - it's kinda moot, no good places to shop nearby)

/j

I think Ron meant that typically, manufacturer specs shouldn't be taken word for word - after all, they are trying to sell the speaker, and will use whatever measurement that makes their speaker look better than it is.

Reading professional reviews, looking at real life measurements, and aof course, hearing and testing the speakers yourself are the best way to see how the speakers really perform.

That being said, I didn't know that the low frequency was missing for the ELTs, but it can be found on the manual (60hz for the ELT525M, 48hz for the ELT525T, and 74hz for the "C").

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.