AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have onkyo 709 and Audessey set my hz at 40 for all speakers and 50hz for my rears but many say to set at 80hz(thx standard).

i use 4 floor standing , center , and two bookshelf loudspeaker for rears

It sounds great either way so which is better 40hz or 80hz?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22176226

I have onkyo 709 and Audessey set my hz at 40 for all speakers and 50hz for my rears but many say to set at 80hz(thx standard).

It all depends on your speakers and room size. You may try different settings. In my receiver Audyssey thinks that front speakers are full range, but 60 Hz override setting provides the best sound.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have onkyo 709 there isnt a large or small setting just crossover frequency.

Maybe ill set them to 60.

But whats the difference in 40hz and 80hz?

The room is 16 x 14, open concept though

I couldnt tell much difference from 40 and 80hz

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
what speakers? I take it you have a sub, what one? With no additional information, I'd be tempted to set at either 60 or 80 Hz. fronts and 80 rear. Makes driving them much easier.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by olyteddy  /t/1417201/led-lcd-to-replace-vt50/30#post_22176644

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlasmaPZ80U  /t/1417201/led-lcd-to-replace-vt50/40_40#post_22176051

not a terribly helpful post

whatever happened to rational discussions where actual pros/cons of both technologies are mentioned?
Actually, given the OPs question, and given the number of Plasma horror stories that ensued, I think it's a fine and helpful post. I for one would not want a set that could be irreparably damaged by merely watching I Love Lucy, cartoons or using the internet. I mean, where is that 'superior PQ' when you have a pink 'Cartoon Network' bug staring you in the face? I for one find LED backlit sets the superior technology because they don't need to be handled with kid gloves or left running for hours or days showing snow to eliminate the by-product of watching a Lucy marathon.
id set it to 80hz and let the sub do the rest of the work. Easier for the 709s amps

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22176226

One of the main purposes of a subwoofer is to take a load off of the other speakers. One obtains this benefit to the greatest extent when the subwoofer crossover is set as high as possible, without disturbing or degrading the imaging. It turns out that in many rooms, this frequency is more like 80 Hz than 40 Hz.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22176441

I have onkyo 709 there isnt a large or small setting just crossover frequency.

Maybe ill set them to 60.

But whats the difference in 40hz and 80hz?

The higher subwoofer crossover frequency takes more of a load off of the other speakers.
Quote:
The room is 16 x 14, open concept though

This is a reasonble sized room. The issue then becomes where the speakers are positioned in the room. For example if the subwoofer is positioned in one of the front corners of the room, setting the crossover frequency too high can result in the perception that the bass is coming from the location of the subwoofer. If the speakers are close and symetrically placed around the subwoofer, then higher crossover frequencies can be used without upsetting the image or soundstage.
Quote:
I couldnt tell much difference from 40 and 80hz

That's actually possibly a good thing. If you play music or videos with a lot of bass, the subwoofer, if effective will allow the other speakers to play more cleanly and with less modulation distortion. This may only be noticeable under extreme conditions.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its a nice sub, the Energy s10.3

my front and sides are Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair , Pioneer SP-C21 Center , and there BS 21 loudspeaker in the rear.

The sub is amazing and I like the sound so setting speakers at 80hz lets the sub do more work right? and I dont want my receiver working too hard either

The sub is positioned in the Front of the room next to the TV with the left front. 4 feet from corner and 3 feet from back wall

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
The main speakers will make the system sound better if they operate down to 50 Hz. You definitely hear stereo sound down to those frequencies, and the subwoofer should never operate above 60 Hz; who wants monaural sound? No receiver is going to be overworked by driving speakers down to 50 Hz; only by playing the system way too loud.

It is ridiculous to have floorstanding speakers and operate them as if they were mini-monitors. Anyone who says to do that is seriously inexperienced in how to get the best sound from a system.

THX is irrelevant, because THX is a specification for setting up sound systems in large commercial theaters, not home systems; the requirements and equipment are very different.

The subwoofer is NOT to take the load off of the main front speakers; it is to reproduce the frequencies that the front speakers CANNOT reproduce, and that is all it should do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22177170

my front and sides are Pioneer SP-FS51-LR Floorstanding Speakers Pair , Pioneer SP-C21 Center , and there BS 21 loudspeaker in the rear.

The sub is amazing and I like the sound so setting speakers at 80hz lets the sub do more work right? and I dont want my receiver working too hard either

The sub is positioned in the Front of the room next to the TV with the left front. 4 feet from corner and 3 feet from back wall

·
Registered
38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22179907

The subwoofer is NOT to take the load off of the main front speakers; it is to reproduce the frequencies that the front speakers CANNOT reproduce, and that is all it should do.

Of course you are correct, but that's not to say that it can't be a fortunate side-effect.

Personally I'd set the crossover as low as possible, in the sense that the frequencies you are sending to the other channels should still be displayed with enough sound pressure and without (audible) distortion. Unless you have a really good sub and crappy woofers in your your floorstanders. But if this is the case you should just throw them out and get proper ones

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22179907

The main speakers will make the system sound better if they operate down to 50 Hz. You definitely hear stereo sound down to those frequencies, and the subwoofer should never operate above 60 Hz; who wants monaural sound? No receiver is going to be overworked by driving speakers down to 50 Hz; only by playing the system way too loud.

It is ridiculous to have floorstanding speakers and operate them as if they were mini-monitors. Anyone who says to do that is seriously inexperienced in how to get the best sound from a system.

THX is irrelevant, because THX is a specification for setting up sound systems in large commercial theaters, not home systems; the requirements and equipment are very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22177170

So experienced person, what happens if the sub can play way louder at the cross over than the floor standers? Also the subwoofer can be placed where bass sounds better while the speakers are placed for imaging...

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I cant tell a huge difference from 60hz on speakers at 80hz should I just set it at 80hz?

My sub is really good and can handle it with ease.

I do want the best audio sent around me though :p

Most say 80 few say less. Just confused on what is best :p

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceX  /t/1417972/speakers-80hz-or-lower#post_22180506

If I cant tell a huge difference from 60hz on speakers at 80hz should I just set it at 80hz?

My sub is really good and can handle it with ease.

I do want the best audio sent around me though :p

Most say 80 few say less. Just confused on what is best :p

If you listen to a lot music on your system then I would go with 60hz. If you mainly use it for TV/movies then I would go with 80hz.

Don't concern yourself with what "most people think" on interweb forums. BS has a life of its own in cyberspace as most people got their "knowledge" from interweb forums in the first place. Some would say that cyborgs have already taken over the planet as the internet is now a group consciousness that everybody plugs into and assimilates with.

Moral of the story... just go with what sounds best to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts