AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie to the audio world, and I'm setting up a simple system. I currently have a Braun Atelier A1 amp with 2 x 55 Watts at 8 Ohms, and I'm interested in purchasing the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers, which are 80 watt at 6 ohms. Will I have any issues with this pairing? My main concern is the amp since it's from the 80s, and a little rare. I don't want to damage it in any way.

Will I be ok, or should I find speakers that are 8 ohms and similar wattage?

Thanks for the help.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo  /t/1526053/speakers-and-amp-pairing#post_24573882

Hi, I'm a newbie to the audio world, and I'm setting up a simple system. I currently have a Braun Atelier A1 amp with 2 x 55 Watts at 8 Ohms, and I'm interested in purchasing the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR speakers, which are 80 watt at 6 ohms. Will I have any issues with this pairing? My main concern is the amp since it's from the 80s, and a little rare. I don't want to damage it in any way.

Thanks for the help.

I foresee no problems. Speaker impedance specifications are not rock solid and depending on manufacturer I can imagine the same speaker being rated either way.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. What about the watts? I've read that the amp should have twice the wattage of the speakers. Will I be fine in terms of power even though the amp had less watts per channel?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You'll be fine. either under powered or over powered is ok. I've used 25W amps, and I have now 180W per channel (most powerful) I'd recommend at least 50W per channel, as I found the 25W to sound a bit bloaty on the low end.

I have to be careful with my speakers, as both are 4ohm, one has 88dB sensivity, sides are 87dB so need bit of power and capable PSU.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo  /t/1526053/speakers-and-amp-pairing#post_24573882

Thanks for the help.

The 80W rating of the speakers is the MAXIMUM power they can safely handle, not the power required. A 30 or 40 watt amplifier is enough for most speakers.

Just because a tire is rated for up to 130 MPH, that doesn't mean you have to put them on a car that can go 130 MPH.

You amp has plenty of power for those speakers; no problem. Your typical listening level will require only a few watts.

The impedance rating of a speaker is only an approximation/average, since the speaker actually has different impedances at different frequencies.

To really understand the impedance of a speaker, you need a GRAPH of its impedance vs. frequency.

Stereophile did an article on those speakers, and you will find the impedance graph for them at the end of the article. I suggest that you look at it and print it for reference.

Their impedance actually varies from 4.5 ohms at 250 hz to over 20 ohms at several other frequencies.

A typical speaker could have an impedance of 5 ohms at 80 Hz, 18 ohms at 600 Hz, and 7 ohms at 3kHz etc. etc.

Every speaker system is different.

Its pretty arbitrary whether the manufacturer calls it an 8 ohm or 6 ohm speaker or whatever.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainyoo  /t/1526053/speakers-and-amp-pairing#post_24574525

Thanks. What about the watts? I've read that the amp should have twice the wattage of the speakers. Will I be fine in terms of power even though the amp had less watts per channel?

How many versions of the same answer do you need?

If I'm so incompetent that I didn't consider something obvious like the potential issue with power, then simply forget my advice.

What is unclear about "I foresee no problems"?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1526053/speakers-and-amp-pairing#post_24574658

If I'm so incompetent that I didn't consider something obvious like the potential issue with power, then simply forget my advice.

That which is obvious to a superior person like yourself may require some degree of explanation to clarify the issues for a novice.

Relax and take a deep breath...lol.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:

Wow, you need to relax. I was asking because you only addressed the impedance.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the info. It's been really helpful. I have a better understanding of how these specs work.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1526053/speakers-and-amp-pairing#post_24574755

Quote:

That which is obvious to a superior person like yourself may require some degree of explanation to clarify the issues for a novice.

Relax and take a deep breath...lol.

Your answer in post 5 was great.

Too bad about the pent up anger thing...

·
Registered
5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1526053/speakers-and-amp-pairing#post_24574528

I've used 25W amps, and I have now 180W per channel (most powerful) I'd recommend at least 50W per channel, as I found the 25W to sound a bit bloaty on the low end.

I find your opposing comments confusing:

"There is more to an amplifier than power, you need to read up I've hooked up a 25W Rotel into large floorstander speakers. Sounds great."

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1327107/the-official-yamaha-rx-v671-thread-7-1-channel-network-avr/1920#post_23235394

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
I had two different types of floorstanders at the time, one was a easier load and more sensitive than the other. Also I was playing with crossovers so in full range, it was a bit bloaty but setting to small helped.

Wheras using a more powerful amp, in full range, didn't sound so bloaty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts