AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of getting my first "proper" sound system for my place (had a sony HTIB before). My living room is not very large and I live on a high rise so I'm still not sure how loud I can play my music and stuff. I'm starting with just a 2-channel setup just because music for me is the most important thing and also I'm broke (budget for speakers and amp ~ $1100). In given time I'll probably get either a higher end speaker set/receiver (SVS, Aperion, etc).

For now I'm thinking Klipsch F-30 with Marantz NR1504. I'm not 100% sure if they will match up well together.

I can get Klipsch F-30 for $269.99 each in Canada from newegg, and the Marantz is $499.99.

So yah I wanted to know if these speakers with pair up well with the receiver. I'm also open to other suggestions regarding the speakers and receivers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Just about every speaker made for home theater use works fine with every typical AVR in the typical home environment. The only concerns are for unusually large spaces, or attempting to use some kind of exotic or vintage speaker never intended of home theater application.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's excellent. Thanks jaddie for the input. All I need to do now is just order my stuff. Awesome.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
For now I'm thinking Klipsch F-30 with Marantz NR1504. I'm not 100% sure if they will match up well together.

I can get Klipsch F-30 for $269.99 each in Canada from newegg, and the Marantz is $499.99.
Ash, your approach of starting with a two channel system and building from there is a good one. So often we see fellas lob in wanting a full 5.1 system for ~$1000. Audio quality is compromised because the budget is spread too thin. So, good on ya!

I would however encourage you to bias the spend more heavily towards the speakers. Money spent on better quality speakers will always make a bigger improvement to sound quality than money spent on electronics.

Marantz tend to be a bit pricey for what you get. If you're shopping Newegg, my pick is this refurbished Denon AVR-S700W ($220). It has respectable power and features and a reasonable level of Audyssey implementation.

This leaves you about $900 for speakers, which opens up more options. Another tip is to start with a small(ish) set of better quality bookshelf speakers and a sub, rather than a pair of tower speakers of lesser quality. Then later on in your upgrade path, these speakers can be re-purposed as surrounds to make way for larger front speakers.

You also don't necessarily have to start with the exact same line of speakers as what you may ultimately end up with. For example, if Aperions are appealing, you could start with a pair of Verus Forte's which will match very well a surrounds to Verus Grand fronts in the future. Same with SVS... start off with the Prime series and perhaps end up with an Ultra front end when finances permit.

I tend to favour SVS, so my recommendation is a Prime Satellite 2.1 system (US$700). Get onto Sonic Boom Audio for Canadian pricing if you're interested.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
The Klipsch Reference II series is on closeout right now, and you can get some great deals from Amazon. I would grab a pair of the RB-61 II or RB-81 II, and then get the receiver mentioned above. The Reference series is a big step up over the Synergy line and definitely worth getting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts