AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) Computer Speakers (i.e. Logitech Z-560/680, Klipsch 5.1) vs. Receiver and HT speakers? Which one is better?

2) Heard I could get a MB with appropriate onboard sound connection to run to receiver (i.e. SPDIF,optical,etc.) w/o extra sound card. Is this true and are there advantages to doing this versus having an added sound card?

3) Looking to run cable/direcTV through computer for TIVO-like function. I'm looking ATI AIW and have seen others in forum mentioning other options. I also want good performance on the video cards for some games and graphic design.

4) HDTV tuner cards. Are they worth getting right now or should I wait until prices go down?

I am looking for this HTPC to do DVD/TV Watching as well as some games and graphic design as I mentioned earlier. Any threads you could refer me to would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From reading some of the threads, I may have answered some of my own questions:

Quote:
Originally posted by Soundman93
1) Computer Speakers (i.e. Logitech Z-560/680, Klipsch 5.1) vs. Receiver and HT speakers? Which one is better?

2) Heard I could get a MB with appropriate onboard sound connection to run to receiver (i.e. SPDIF,optical,etc.) w/o extra sound card. Is this true and are there advantages to doing this versus having an added sound card?

3) Looking to run cable/direcTV through computer for TIVO-like function. I'm looking ATI AIW and have seen others in forum mentioning other options. I also want good performance on the video cards for some games and graphic design.

4) HDTV tuner cards. Are they worth getting right now or should I wait until prices go down?
1) Sounds like going to an amp with the new M-Audio REVO and HT speakers from there is the most popular option.

2) Answered with ques. #1 or I could go with the ASUS/Intel with the digital out -> receiver -> amp -> speakers

3) I got a TV Tuner card for free from a friend, so that answers that ques. I'll test it and then move from there.

4) I'll hold off on the HD Tuner card until I learn more.

Am I on the right track here? As always, any threads you can point me to are always appreciated.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Separate sound card hooked up to amp+reciever+unpowered speakers may be the most talked about solution, but that doesn't mean it's the most popular. If you just use onboard sound + powered speakers, there's not mcuh to say, so you don't see as many posts on that path.

I actually ran a poll on this a while back, with inconclusive results. Here is my personal take...

If all you are using your video card for is sending sound out of your computer, then there is no reason to get one; onboard sound is fine. If you are recording sound from outside sources, then a sound card is needed.

If you want to keep your speaker costs under $400, then you might as well go with powered speakers. If you are willing to spend more than $400 to get better sound, then you want to go the amp/reciever route.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.