AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing internet research for speakers for several months now. It is amazing how many different opinions there are about the same speaker (I bought Axioms and like them). I think speakers are not unlike guitars in that some people swear by one brand and tout it above all other brands.


The same can be said about guitars. You can spend thousands on a Les Paul or a Fender Strat. Both have distinct sounds. Some go for the sound of the Gibson, while others prefer the Strat. Does my preference make the other a bad sounding guitar? No. Does my preference for Axioms make them superior to Rockets? To me, yes. To some, no. That is my preference. Some people do not like the sound of the Axioms. That does not make them wrong or stupid.


Many sage people on this forum have advised others that no matter what graphs and other reviewers say, the bottom line is How do YOU like the sound? What kind of listener are you? Is spending thousands on a system worth it if a $500 HTIB sounds good to you? Or do you purchase so you can display impressive equipment on your signature line?


Beer snobs are like speaker snobs. Most people drink Bud/Miller products and are quite happy with them (the potable equivalent to HTIB). I, on the other hand, am willing to pay a lot more for better ingredients (the sonic equivalent to drivers, crossovers, etc) because I can tell the difference and the difference to me is worth the extra $$$$. Conversely, when I buy a bottle of wine, I rarely pay over $10 and often buy wine in a box and set it in the fridge (the vineyard equivalent to HTIB). I simply can't or don't care to educate my palate to the finer qualities. It is impractical for me to spend major bucks on wine since I can't tell the difference.

So, do I buy an expensive bottle just to include it in my signature line on the wine forum?


I realize there are those that buy the best (wine, beer, guitar, speaker, etc) not because of discriminating taste, but because they have a large supply of disposable income. More power to them. But, for the average Joe, it's OK to buy a Kenwood HTIB, Budweiser, if that's what you like. In fact, proudly list it in your signature line.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,339 Posts
Yep, speakers like EVERYTHING in life comes down to personal preference and how much one wants from or cares about them. You can say the same thing for cars. Some buy little econo cars while others (like me) like luxury cars and the added stuff they give you is worth the premium. Hell, I could make a case for people and their wives/girlfriends. I see some guys out there and have no clue why they are with that female because she seems useless and boring to me but they like her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larlane
Conversely, when I buy a bottle of wine, I rarely pay over $10 and often buy wine in a box and set it in the fridge (the vineyard equivalent to HTIB). I simply can't or don't care to educate my palate to the finer qualities. It is impractical for me to spend major bucks on wine since I can't tell the difference.

So, do I buy an expensive bottle just to include it in my signature line on the wine forum?
LOL, I generally tend to agree with you, but then . . .


Last year my girlfriend's parents gave us a bottle of 1995 "grand cru" burgundy that cost a $100 or so, and . . . lemme tell ya . . . that bottle changed my life forever. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,326 Posts
Heck, I just think it's cool that we have all these choices.. Virtually, no matter what the product category is.


I do HT installations on the side. And I make sure every customer understands, that I will not install a system that cannot sustain true reference type volume levels reliably.


If they want less, they don't need or want me involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
With speakers, though, there's at least some standard for accuracy, measuring how well an input is replicated. Doesn't mean anyone has to like it, of course.


On a related note, I've mainly been a Gibson guy (SG) but have gone over to Strats/Teles. It's all good. Taking delivery of this sweet thing next week, gift from the little lady.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Domestic beer is like cheap speakers. They will both leave you with unwanted side effects plain and simple. If you want to full yourself into thinking Budweiser is anywhere clost to a NEw belgium product or an odells product then more power to you but in the long run your health will pay the price.


Drink less Drink quality!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,946 Posts
Ummmm....good brew......good HT, what a mix...


Thought I was going to become a Scotch sipper, bought a nice bottle of some Macallan 12yr, not for me... a wee bit too smokey and peaty.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,850 Posts
Amen brother. Gimme Salma Hayek over Pam Anderson :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
497 Posts
Scotch? Did someone say Scotch?

Someone over the Christmas party circut gave me "a" [1] shot of Johnny Walker Blue Label. It was really [Smooooth and smokey but not peaty] nice but not $145.00/.750 liter nice. Of course I raved about it, being shameless as I am, with the hope of a refill but the cheap [email protected]#$%^&*(*. locked it away. Yes locked, like I would come back in the middle of the night and hmmmmm.


Bear!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
The paradox pf "nice" guitars is that often guys who own them are afraid to play out with them lest they be stolen. A friend owns several now valuable Gretsch and Gibson guitars but plays out with his band using a Peavey because nobody will steal it.


Of course the Peavey sounds fine too which kind'a makes you wonder.....


This guy has a black Les Paul with gold hardware that he bought new in 1969. people swoon over the thing now but back in 1969 people were saying it was a junk, "the new ones are no good". Funny , eh.


I had a set of Gretsch drums I was given and I thought they sounded like garbage cans and I got some Rogers as soon as I could. Now people go ga-ga over old Gretsches, I know all these people aren't playing be-bop. Go figure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,550 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone
LOL, I generally tend to agree with you, but then . . .


Last year my girlfriend's parents gave us a bottle of 1995 "grand cru" burgundy that cost a $100 or so, and . . . lemme tell ya . . . that bottle chenged my life forever. :)
A guess - You drank the whole thing, and the next morning she was your wife ... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Nice Strat, Jack. I'm old enough to remember when the sunburst finish was cool, then it fell out of fashion (uncool), now it's cool again. Personally, I've always liked it.


Tom, I would LOVE to see that black Les Paul. WOOF!


Me, I'm still plugging away at my 40 year old Martins.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5.../Martinsm3.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,952 Posts
Rijax---A couple of years ago I bought a new Fender Jazzbass, sunburst. it's a great bass now but probably won't be a "cool" bass until after I'm dead. If you hang onto to most anything it'll eventually become cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
LOL! Absolutely true! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,285 Posts
Quote:
Nice Strat, Jack. I'm old enough to remember when the sunburst finish was cool, then it fell out of fashion (uncool), now it's cool again. Personally, I've always liked it.
I dig it, reminds me a bit of the SRV Strat, but it's actually prettier I think side-by-side. Vintage noiseless pups like on the Clapton Strat, and a 12" radius which is cool with this Gibson guy. Felt better than all the American Standards on the wall.

Nice friggin' Martins...I'm still beating up my Tama dreadnought given to me back in '76 when I was but a wee punk.

Quote:
The paradox pf "nice" guitars is that often guys who own them are afraid to play out with them lest they be stolen. A friend owns several now valuable Gretsch and Gibson guitars but plays out with his band using a Peavey because nobody will steal it.
Yeah, I won't buy a guitar I'd be afraid to play...I abuse my axes, but lovingly.

Quote:
Of course the Peavey sounds fine too which kind'a makes you wonder.....
Once you get to the point where a guitar is built competently, sounds good to you, and feels right so as to not hinder your playing, the point of diminishing returns smacks you pretty quickly. Of course, they are nice objects and worth having for that, but a Custom Shop Fender/Gibson won't make me Jimi/Jimmy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
621 Posts
Video cards are like speakers too I'm thinking. My son's card went kaput a week ago and he's a gamer, so I swapped my big (to me) Nividia card with 128 meg of ram to his machine, and surfed along with an old 8 meg card I had gathering dust while I looked for a new one. It's like the freakin' cereal aisle at the grocery store. WAY too many choices and you can pay as much as you please it seems, for pretty much the same thing. I went with a $50 card because that card will suit my needs nicely, but could just have easily have spent half that or ten times that.

I've got a MONSTEROUS Pinnacle center channel speaker that most audiophiles wouldn't bother checking out because it isn't a name they see as one of the popular or highly coveted brands to have, but for me it's a great center channel that brings my home theater setup to life, with a full 10 year warranty. I think we all covet fine things and sometimes we invest in them, sometimes we don't...if you have scads of disposable income you're more likely to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larlane
Beer snobs are like speaker snobs. Most people drink Bud/Miller products and are quite happy with them (the potable equivalent to HTIB). I, on the other hand, am willing to pay a lot more for better ingredients (the sonic equivalent to drivers, crossovers, etc) because I can tell the difference and the difference to me is worth the extra $$$$.
I disagree 100% with this statement. I don't want to get into a beer pissing match, but I think you are a little out of line in comparing Budweiser to a HTIB. There is quite the process in ingredients and brewing techniques involved with brewing Budweiser that most people tend to take for granted. Your jaw would hit the floor if you actually knew everything involved with brewing Budweiser.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,272 Posts
Jack, nice Strat, it looks like the John Mayer Strat.


Rijax, nice Martins, do you know what those's are worth?


Quote:
The paradox pf "nice" guitars is that often guys who own them are afraid to play out with them lest they be stolen. A friend owns several now valuable Gretsch and Gibson guitars but plays out with his band using a Peavey because nobody will steal it.
This is so true, I see guys all the time that play out with cheap guitars, because they don't want their good stuff riped off, which happens a lot. I gig out twice week with my Blues Band, I collect vintage Fender Strat's and I play out with them all the time. I never let any of my guitars or amp's out of my site. Only, one time, did some MF try to steal one of my Guitars after a gig, we watched him take it, we caught him out side and smashed that guy real good. You play out in any ruff bars and a lot of crazy stuff happens, sometimes your guitar getting ripped off is the very least of your worries.


Speaking of SRV, here's is one of my Pride and Joys. This is the 5th one made of the 23 that Charley's made. This one is one that Stevie played.


Redhouse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhouse
Rijax, nice Martins, do you know what those's are worth? :eek:
Haven't got the foggiest. I know I paid around $350 for each in 1965. The D28 is a 1964 model; one of the last made of Brazilian rosewood with 2 piece backs. The D12-20 is a 1965 model; one of the first of that model manufactured.


HAH! I just found the original sales slip for the D12-20. It was $360.50 with hardshell case. I think the D28 was actually less than that but still over $300. I remember it took my entire summer's wages from working in a steel fabricating plant to pay for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhouse
You play out in any ruff bars and a lot of crazy stuff happens, sometimes your guitar getting ripped off is the very least of your worries.
BOY! Do I know what you mean! Back in the late 70s/early 80s I ran sound for a regional Country Rock band. We played some places, and slept in some places, that, even today, merely the thought of which, brings on a cold sweat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhouse
Speaking of SRV, here's is one of my Pride and Joys. This is the 5th one made of the 23 that Charley's made. This one is one that Stevie played.
WOW! That is BEEYOUTEEFULL! Yummy! I gotta tell the guys over at the Axiom forum about this. There are a number of SRV fans over there. There is a thread running about the recent vandalizing of the SRV statue in Austin.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top