AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently brought a house and there's maybe 15 speakers around the house.

I found these wires, any ideas?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

i have no idea..

just these speakers spread around the house everywhere. these were the only wire i could locate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there's like 15 of speakers around the house.

anyone have a guess of how they might be wired???

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera  /t/1468450/speakers-around-the-house-and-i-found-these-wires#post_23218536

there's like 15 of speakers around the house.

anyone have a guess of how they might be wired???
No one can say. You have to use a DMM to figure out which pairs are connected to a load, and a sound source to figure out which wires go to which speakers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

so i found all the wires. it was in a small closet hidden inside the master bedroom.

there's like 15 of them. it was audio quest 14 awg wires.

I really like to know how they were hook up to a receiver ? 15 speakers? i don't really need to know where they all are at. I'll use all of them. I'm sure they can't all go into a receiver? Splitter? Amplifier?

I'm curious to see how they're hooked up? Maybe all of them going to a box and then its plug into the receiver?

Sorry, newb question I'm new to audio. are they going to an amp? I already have a 5.1 system, I like to play these 15 speakers around the house as well.

I have one of those new pioneer 1522 receiver.

·
Banned
3,781 Posts

You need a good multichannel amplifier to power that many speakers. It is not going to work well off a receiver with a speaker switch.  You could take the zone 2 RCA outputs of your receiver and feed it into a multi channel amp.  There are a lot of questions here.

Do you have volume controls?

Do you want the same thing playing throughout the house or different music in different rooms?

What sources do you plan to listen to i.e. TV, iPod, Streaming sources, CD, etc.?

How would you like to control thus system?

BTW, your first picture looks like a standard BNC connections for RGBHV, do you have any idea what they were connected to?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL  /t/1468450/speakers-around-the-house-and-i-found-these-wires#post_23220754

You need a good multichannel amplifier to power that many speakers. It is not going to work well off a receiver with a speaker switch.  You could take the zone 2 RCA outputs of your receiver and feed it into a multi channel amp.  There are a lot of questions here.

Do you have volume controls? Yes. All of them have volume controls.....

Do you want the same thing playing throughout the house or different music in different rooms? I'll play the same thing throughout house. The receiver have multizone so i can utilize that.

What sources do you plan to listen to i.e. TV, iPod, Streaming sources, CD, etc.? tv, but everything should pass through the receiver

How would you like to control thus system? Through receiver.

BTW, your first picture looks like a standard BNC connections for RGBHV, do you have any idea what they were connected to? I have no idea....

Thanks for the answers

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would suggest a Muti-chan amp or two if you want to split these into zones (so you can separate music).

Sonos + an amp can be a nice wireless way to control it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz  /t/1468450/speakers-around-the-house-and-i-found-these-wires#post_23222893

I would suggest a Muti-chan amp or two if you want to split these into zones (so you can separate music).

Sonos + an amp can be a nice wireless way to control it.

do you have a recommendation for an amp?

i don't want to use another controller.

I like to control all of it through the receiver.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Amps are generally expensive but this is just the first place I looked.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Russound+-+4-Zone+8-Channel+Multiroom+Amplifier/8571645.p?id=1218137746172&skuId=8571645&st=channel%20amplifier&cp=1&lp=2

This has 4 zones so you can play 4 separate sources. No problem if you want to control all of it thru receiver just know that it usually means you'd have to run down to the receiver to make any changes in volume, song/source selection.

I recommended Sonos simply because it could act as your receiver by wireless. You also can find receivers w/ apps that allow you to do many of the same functions.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidawgz  /t/1468450/speakers-around-the-house-and-i-found-these-wires#post_23224443

Amps are generally expensive but this is just the first place I looked.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Russound+-+4-Zone+8-Channel+Multiroom+Amplifier/8571645.p?id=1218137746172&skuId=8571645&st=channel%20amplifier&cp=1&lp=2

This has 4 zones so you can play 4 separate sources. No problem if you want to control all of it thru receiver just know that it usually means you'd have to run down to the receiver to make any changes in volume, song/source selection.

I recommended Sonos simply because it could act as your receiver by wireless. You also can find receivers w/ apps that allow you to do many of the same functions.

i look at sonos but they only have a few speakers connectors? Maybe I'm not getting it somewhere.

are you talking about this one? http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connectamp

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
This: http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=SMS-10&recordID=High Power Impedance Matching System&categoryID=Speaker Selectors&catcdID=7&prdcdID=FG00229

will allow you to hook up up to 10 pairs of speakers to a standard amp.

As a general course you should tone out the wires and label them so you know what speakers are what...if you don't have a toner, just use a 9-volt battery and a helper and attach to each pair of wires (you'll hear a pop from the speaker when you touch the +/- wires to the battery contacts). Typically it is Red/Black and White/Green as pairs, but who knows how the speakers are wired....

B.

·
Registered
498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmastera  /t/1468450/speakers-around-the-house-and-i-found-these-wires/0_60#post_23228457

i look at sonos but they only have a few speakers connectors? Maybe I'm not getting it somewhere.

are you talking about this one? http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connectamp
http://www.sonos.com/shop/products/connect

I mean that..... Essentially you can use Coaxial (SPDIF), Optical, or RCA to input into any amplifier/receiver. You can change music remotely. Now say you have 7 rooms...

With one Sonos Connect you can play any one song into those 7 rooms.

With 2 or 3 Sonos Connect you can play 1-3 songs throughout the house. The rooms that play the song will depend on how you group them(perhaps by what floor they are on). Same concept if say a 2 or 3 zone AVR is controlling everything.

As far as how to control that all, you can either buy an amp with many channels and/or a multiroom switch box like the post above.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts