AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do setups with speakers behind acoustically transparent screen sound as good or better than setups with speakers placed away from wall. I know it would be hard to compare such setups due to multiple variables but just in case some has experienced or has objective data on both....
The former will be more elegant setup though...

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Do setups with speakers behind acoustically transparent screen sound as good or better than setups with speakers placed away from wall. I know it would be hard to compare such setups due to multiple variables but just in case some has experienced or has objective data on both....
Same..................................enable EQ. ;)

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Depends upon the speaker design. A good AT screen will act like speaker grill cloth and only cause a small amount (1 or 2db) of attenuation of the high frequencies. Some speakers designs are very position dependant and may need to be away from boundaries in order to perform their best. Not all speakers are good candidates for HT and AT screen use so it's best to choose speaker brands that were designed for that type of setup.

I agree that speakers behind an AT screen are "elegant" but the more important factor is the immersion effect of having the sound appropriately emanating from the screen.

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Depends upon the speaker design. A good AT screen will act like speaker grill cloth and only cause a small amount (1 or 2db) of attenuation of the high frequencies. Some speakers designs are very position dependant and may need to be away from boundaries in order to perform their best. Not all speakers are good candidates for HT and AT screen use so it's best to choose speaker brands that were designed for that type of setup.

I agree that speakers behind an AT screen are "elegant" but the more important factor is the immersion effect of having the sound appropriately emanating from the screen.
Simple physics................sound is sound........................

I would tend to slightly disagree while adding few additions, screen material along with toe-in angle will have more to do with attenuation than speaker itself. EQ can mitigate those sound discrepancies.........................while some speaker design can/will cause some concerns while using an AT screen, majority will not with EQ icing.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
Simple physics................sound is sound........................

I would tend to slightly disagree while adding few additions, screen material along with toe-in angle will have more to do with attenuation than speaker itself. EQ can mitigate those sound discrepancies.........................while some speaker design can/will cause some concerns while using an AT screen, majority will not with EQ icing.
Not sure what you are disagreeing with but I said a "good AT screen" and by that I meant woven, not perf. I'd like to see one reference article that states that an AT screen itself necessitates equlization. There are many other factors that do require EQ'ing but a woven AT screen itself isn't one of them. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts