AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie obviously...getting new dlp pretty soon. Will I lose a lot of quality sound if my mains and center are behind the screen?? Screen is an Elite - also, am I better off spending another $160 to get a Da Lite?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Putting a speaker behind the screen is highly recommended, given you have a high quality microperf screen. All the major screen companies make them, but they all very in acoustical transparency, video quality, and price! You will have to make a choice between:

- Sacrificing good video

- Sacrificing good audio

- Getting out a loan to buy a Stewart Film Microperf

You also introduce other challenges when you goto a Microperf, such as a moire effect.

Having said all of this, there is a screen that has a popular thread in this forum talking about the Vutec SoundScreen. Its price seems to be pretty reasonable, but still more than the dalite.

If all this leads you away from a behind the screen center channel the next best place is above the screen.

hope this helps!

Austin

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I dont know if you are asking if what happens if you put your speakers behind a non microperf screen or is it worth it to spend the extra money to go microperf.

If you put the speakers behind a normal screen, you will be killing the audio quality of your sound. Dont get me wrong, if you bring up the volume, you will still hear the movie, but if will defeat the whole point of your audio system. The better route is to go with a microperf screen. Some are better than others but even the worst will still do a better job than the first option. The audio screens from Dalite are relatively inexpensive, so if cost is an issue, I would definitely go that route

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heime
does anyone have any suggestions...
Well since this is now the second topic you started about this, my suggestion is to take the suggestions we give here to heart.

There are basically three options:

1. Get a microperf screen and place them behind your screen.

2. Get a regular screen and do not place the them behind your screen.

3. Opening more topics about it and simply ignore whatever we tell you.

·
Registered
35 Posts
also a newbie, but was wondering what kind of screens are in the IMAX theaters since they have speakers behind them and the sound quality is obviously stellar....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereIAm
also a newbie, but was wondering what kind of screens are in the IMAX theaters since they have speakers behind them and the sound quality is obviously stellar....
IMAX uses a perforated screen.

·
Registered
6,027 Posts
There actually is another option, a woven screen.

See the exisiting threads on the Vutec SoundScreen & Screen Research.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.