AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WELL THEY CAME TODAY!!!

very excited, crutchfield came thru. ordered monday they came today.

mirage 550's. always wanted towers/mirage speakers. this is after owning cambridge soundworks movieworks for over 9 years. what a change.

the box was pretty messed up, but no issues.

packed very well (although had no idea what end was up?

these things are huge. was very shocked at there mass.

wow.! finish was very good. the base looks beautiful.

never seen anything like these before in person. (house in the middle of no where land)

hooked up the 12g wire.

hard to really explain the size, they are next to my 61" dlp, and come up 1/2 way. the second step in mantown is complete.

now the 100hr break in period....
i want to crank these so bad. but i now i cant right now.

as far as sound, well i have listened to 4x8 speakers for 9+ years, and all i can say is amazing. they fill the room (16x25 12' cielings) there seems to be no place in the room where it does not sound like they are right in front of me. hard to explain but if i closed my eyes it would be hard for me to find them while playing. just awesome.

anyway thought i would share, now back to some tunes.

next is the center speaker (c150 or one 150).

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
you can not crank them?

umm why?

You actually do WANT to crank them. The only thing that needs loosening up is the surrounding cusion of the speaker. Besides that, the electronic portion does not need a "break in" regardless fo what the manufacture says.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Congratulation.

They look great. I hope you get many years of enjoyment out of them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I still do not understand all this break in period stuff. Its not an engine its a speaker. I guess I know too little to understand.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Nice system, all you need now are room treatments! Dunno that I'd worry too much about the 'break in period'.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks..

never had speakers i had to break in either. but in caps in the manual it says 100hrs, or damage can occur. best sound will not be achieved until the 100hr point.??????

they were scratch/dent from crutchfield, and other than the boxes that were beat to all heck, they were in mint condition.

fyi they were only $339 for the pair with free shipping.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Cool!!! Ya gotta love getting new toys!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
"Break in' is highly debatable. Some swear by it, others dismiss it as snake oil. I could possibly be convinced that new speakers need perhaps an hour of break in at most to loosen brand new driver surrounds, but that's about it IMO. I seriously doubt you could damage your speakers turning them up a bit before the 'break in' period is up. However, it might be prudent to honor the 'break in' period simply to avoid headaches should your speaker require service under warranty.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the "Mirage Club". We'll see how much longer it lasts depending on what Klipsch does with the company.

Great looking speakers and great sound

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by intence /forum/post/12981100

Congrats and welcome to the "Mirage Club". We'll see how much longer it lasts depending on what Klipsch does with the company.

Great looking speakers and great sound

I hear yah? I have to believe that Energy and Mirage will still exist! I can't believe that Klipsch would just buy API and do away with it? Lets face it with (Klipsch) now running the show for Energy and Mirage they should be able to make inroads towards the larger US market.

Then again I know nothing about economics 101 and am basically speculating

And to the OP nice looking set up

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you get these from Vanns? I'm looking at getting a pair to replace my Athena AS-F2's but I'm not sure I"ll hear much of a difference.

Also, isn't there a screen that goes on top too?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I really love threads like this with pictures of the shipping boxes and the unpacking sequence. The anticipation, the excitement, will it sound as good as I imagined ? Thanks for posting the pictures and enjoy the music.

·
Registered
210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibbo /forum/post/12985904

Did you read his post or look at the pictures at all?

Actually, I was just now rushing to edit my post and then I saw your post. Sorry.

Anyway, I'm looking at images from google and I don't see any screens for the top. I see screen post holes on the top, what's the deal?

I know Athena and Mirage are both Klipsch companies, but I'm considering moving from one to the other. There's very little talk about mirage OMNI (non-sat) speakers online. Any thoughts? (I don't mean to be bumping my original post, but I guess that's what this is coming to).

1 - 20 of 78 Posts