AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HK AVR 65 and need to get in-wall speakers. I auditioned the Sonance 634T speakers today and would like to go with them. My question is impedance (I think. I don't remember my high school physics class too much).

The receiver says 8 ohms and the HK website states:

All Harman Kardon Audio/Video receivers can handle most 4 and 6 ohm speakers on the market today. However, there are some manufacturers' speakers that have a minimum impedance well below the 4 and 6 ohm nominal impedance. In this situation, the receiver will protect itself by going into standby mode. This will not damage the speakers or the electronics, but it is an indication that the speaker in question is not compatible with our receiver. Note: The continued use of the receiver with speakers that cause it to shut down can result in eventual failure of the receiver which is not covered by the warranty.

Sonance's website http://www.sonance.com/inwall/634t.htm says
Impedance: 6 ohms nominal, 4 ohms minimum

Does anyone have experience matching Sonance 6 ohm speakers with HK? Do I even need to worry? HK says that "some manufacturers' speakers that have a minimum impedance well below the 4 and 6 ohm nominal impedance..." I assume these are not well below.

What effect is an 8 ohm receiver driving 6 ohm speakers going to have?

Finally, is it okay to have 8 ohm speaker for my surrounds?

:confused:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.