AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My living room is 14.5'x22' and is my primary entertainment area for now. I'm looking at either the Onkyo HT-S6300 (HTIB) or separate components being the Pioneer VSX-1020-K for a receiver and for speakers, either the Energy 5.1 Classic or Klipsch 300 HT .

Would any of these speakers be viable options for this size space? I don't mind spending a bit more for quality speakers if they're going to last me a long time and possibly use in an actual "home theater" space in the future.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommelhorse /forum/post/19560315

My living room is 14.5'x22' and is my primary entertainment area for now. I'm looking at either the Onkyo HT-S6300 (HTIB) or separate components being the Pioneer VSX-1020-K for a receiver and for speakers, either the Energy 5.1 Classic or Klipsch 300 HT .

Would any of these speakers be viable options for this size space? I don't mind spending a bit more for quality speakers if they're going to last me a long time and possibly use in an actual "home theater" space in the future.

Thoughts?

My room is larger than yours (it flows right into an open kitchen), and I have the VSX-920 (same power as 1020) and the Klipsch HD Theater 500 speakers. They sound very nice, but the subwoofer is not big enough. It sounds nice at medium volumes during movies, but in scenes with explosions, you can usually hear the sub's limitations; specifically, "chuffing" from the port. It really doesn't thump, either - and mine is an 8'' sub, while the HD 300 system only has a 6.5'' sub. Also, those speakers require crossover at 150Hz, which means the subwoofer is not going to blend as well, since you need it to handle everything up to 150Hz. I am upgrading to SVS speakers and an SVS subwoofer. They are big and kind of ugly, but they are almost universally praised for their sound. I suggest coming up with a budget where you buy the most you can afford. Speakers will last a very long time, so if you have a nice TV, why not get nice speakers to go with it? On a budget you can get pretty good Infinity speakers (Primus series) and a free sub from Crutchfield. No tax plus free shipping, and they have great customer service.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
I would take the Energy Take Classics 5.1 over the Klipsch HD300 the HD300 is extremely extremely weak

You room is kinda large especially for the Klipsch hd300. When I sound tested them they struggled in 15 x 15 closed off room

·
Registered
38 Posts
How do you think the Klipsch HD-500 would do in a 12x12 living room with an Onkyo 608? My living room does flow into the dining room that is slightly bigger but divided by a half wall... This is my first home sound system purchase, and I want to stay under $1000 for the whole thing. I am willing to get some good mid-range speakers now and then upgrade in a few years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts