AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing a few rooms in my basement..Theater being 15x24 Thinkin of Ascend surrounds CBM-170 center CMT-340 Thinkin of SVS sub HAve a Velodyne CT-100 upstairs..have enjoyed it..might be a bit boomy..Any suggestions for reciever? have a Denon 2803..would that be a possibilty to use?Thinking of the Infocus 4805 or Sharp DT-300 Any changes in the same price range? Would 12 gauge be the correct speaker cable to use?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have a budget in mind for the whole deal? The Infocus looks like a great deal (even a 100 dollar rebate at the moment). I think you should look for floorstanders for the front end considering the room size. Something like the Axiom Epic 80 comes to mind ($3100).

If you like the look of Rockets you can get 4 550MKII's and the Bigfoot center for 1650 at **********. You can also substitute the bookshelf 250's in the rear or the 300 dipoles for the same price. Top that off with a VTF-3 in matching rosewood (899) and the total is around 2500.

Personally I like the look of the wood, you would have to decide if the sound is to your liking between the two. I would also consider SVS depending on your budget...the VTF3 Hsu in black at 699 is one of the better deals for power and finesse.

I got 12 Ga Soundking cable in 100 foot lengths from partsexpress...35 bucks a 100 foot roll then bought some nice gold banana plugs and made my own...you can read a cable shootout here www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/ interconnects/SpeakerCableFaceoffp3.htm

I think the Denon would suffice for the time being. I have a smaller room with a Denon 2105 and it does OK but I find myself looking for more oomph periodically. Waiting to see what the Emotiva UL combo sounds like...per-order for both the amp and the pre/pro is 1000. Otherwise Outlaw audio has a nice 7 channel 125 watt per amp which you could run using the Denon as the controller. HMMM. $999 for that one.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.