AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm remodeling a small, windowless home office and have decided to incorporate a decent computer-based 2-channel system.

After looking at a bunch of compact separates and small all-in-ones like the Peachtree Deco/Nova and Cambridge Audio's Sonata line, I've decided to use surplus gear I already have and focus my budget on speakers.

I'm really not sure where to begin in selecting the right speakers for such a small room.

I'm willing to buy used or new. Some of the brands I'm looking at include PSB, Ascends, and B&W, as well as some well-regarded near-field monitors like the John Blue or Audio Engine.

I'm also not sure whether I'd be better served by compact monitors flanking my computer or using bookshelf or floor standing speakers along one of the walls.

Since I already own it, I plan to use a Denon AVR-1800 (75 WPC) and skip the separates for now. It's bigger than I'd like, but I can find room for it on top or beneath my L-shaped desk. I'll use the optical out on my Mac to feed it iTunes, Pandora, etc.

I also have a dual 8" Newton P500 sub that is sitting idle since I replaced it lost its spot in my home theater to a 15" Rythmik.

What speakers should I consider in the $500 or under range? In the $1000 or under range? Higher?

My goal here is to get the speakers right and then replace other components down the line.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I would really recommend that you put the Behringer 2030p or 2031p on your short list.

At least when good ole' Uli Behringer copies, he copies the best.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I can personally recommend Quad 12L2's (or 22L2's), Ascend 340m and CBM's, but I would also look into **********, AperionAudio.com, and the Axiom 22's. While the Ascends are great, I do not believe they are all too fabulous for music, strictly speaking (they do a fine job, just not the end-all-be-all of sound).

I'd visit www.Audiogon.com if you're looking into used and take a peek at the Dynaudio's, Quad's, Linn Katan's, maybe some Rockets/ Reference line, Monitor Audio, etc. If you can find them, you'd be hard-pressed to beat Ascend Sierra's if you can find them used... good luck there.

Have fun

As to speaker size--it depends upon construction and brand of components. If you're looking at Quad, I wouldn't pass up the 12L2's--they produce quite decent base and music is stunning (mind, I may be biased by having them in my home at present).

--TDA

P.S. Are you looking to wall-mount, or can the speakers be a fair distance from the rear wall?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides /forum/post/18140664

Are you looking to wall-mount, or can the speakers be a fair distance from the rear wall?

The room is small and must accommodate a desk, cabinets and shelves, so the speakers will probably have to sit pretty close to the wall.

If I wall mount or place them on open shelving (e.g. elfa ) I should probably avoid rear-ported speakers, no?

I'm also planning to put some fairly plush carpet in there for comfort, although for tying a room together, throw rugs can't be beat (provided they haven't been micturated upon).

·
Registered
618 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeAbides /forum/post/18140748

Yep--should probably shy away from rear ported speakers, so that narrows your search considerably. The 12L2's need a fair amount of space behind them to really shine.

I second that. I own Quad 22Ls and love'em (listening to Pandora on them as I type) but they do need some room.

For a smaller floor stander that didn't seem to need the room, Aperion 5T's seem like they might be a good choice, unless you prefer a really enriched low frequency (my friend's mackie monitors come to mind). They're super clear, and I didn't find them to be too imposing.

My favorite $1K bookshelvers right now are B & W 685's. They seem pretty well rounded.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I saw a pair of B&W 685s at the local high-end chain that's going out of business. I didn't bother asking the price because the tweeters were dented and they seemed to be down to floor displays. I might give them a call tomorrow and see if they still have any new in the box.

Looking at their specs, the seem to dip down reasonably low for a book shelf speaker.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've done some more research and have produced a short list that's by no means a list of finalists. Any opinions on these speakers?:
  • B&W 685 (49Hz-22kHz)
  • Energy RC10 (50Hz-23 kHz)
  • Ascend Sierra 1

In terms of placement, they will probably go along the 10' wall, either on stands or on open wall shelves maybe a foot or two in from the corners.

I should mention that one free option at my disposal would be to use a pair of Boston VR-M50 (59–20,000Hz) bookshelves currently serving as surround speakers in my 5.1 system. I have an idle pair of B&W LM1s that would suffice for surrounds. But as you can see, I'm looking for office speakers that dip a bit lower since my spare 8" sub ain't all that -- especially for music. I'd just as soon sell it or give it to a friend.

Re: the damaged B&W 685s mentioned above -- the soon-to-be kaput dealer wants $400 for the pair. Haven't looked into what new tweeters could cost, but if Boston Acoustics prices are any guide, I'd probably be looking at $100 or more with shipping.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check those out.

I'm definitely looking for a speaker that is not all that fussy about placement.

From what I read about Vienna Acoustics, for example, is that they can sound pretty bad if they're not placed just right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
im in the same predicament, a smallish room with not much space. i listened to a few things, monitor rx6, some b&w, but i totally fell in love with the low end of the paradigm monitor 9 and 11, and have been dead set on getting some. But after realistically looking at my space and the fact that i can put them at not much more than 8 inches from the wall, ive sadly come to the realization that they are not for me. ive been suggested the 633-t/6t but the fact that i cant listen to any aperion stuff before i buy it makes me nervous. How good on the low end are the sierra 1's?

·
The Village Idiot
9,766 Posts
 Magnepan 1.7s are very easy to place. They are 4ohm - which may or may not be a problem with your receiver. They play down to 40hz so a sub wouldn't be needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.