AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a pair of speakers for my room soon. I know nothing about TVs or stereo systems since I never had the money to buy anything until I started working a few months ago. Now I have too much money and not enough free time so I'm thinking about buying some equipment. My room is only 14x14 and the TV + speakers will probably be stationed right at the foot of my bed since I'm lazy and like to be comfortable. I'll probably spring for a 42" Sharp Aquos and Playstation 3 along with some speakers for my little home entertainment system within the next month.

My question is, are there any speakers that do better for smaller rooms or close-quarters? I'll literally never be any farther than four feet away from my tv due to the design of my room. I'm looking for a pair of speakers since I don't have the room for a surround set. Also, will I need a receiver to connect the tv to the speakers, etc? Oh yea, I'm also half-deaf with higher hearing loss in the upper frequencies if that has anything to do with your recommendations. I'm thinking of keeping my budget for the speakers around $600 but since I really have no idea how much decent speakers go for I can stretch it by a few hundred dollars if the difference is noticeable but I'd like to save money where I can.

Looking forward to your responses!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes, you'll need a receiver. To save some $$, if you have no plans on going with more than 2 speakers you can get by with a stereo receiver. There are several companies that still make good, low cost stereo receivers. You can run the PS3 video straight into your TV and run the audio into the receiver. Run the 'audio out' from the TV to the receiver too. You could spend $600 on two speakers for your size of room, but you really don't need to. Go listen to as many different speakers as you can in your area. With your hearing loss in the upper frequencies what sounds good to you is more important than what some 'kid' salesperson at BB or CC is going to recommend.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts