AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im interested in hearing some recommendations for speakers that will be used in a frat house bedroom. They will be used primarily for music but will also be setup for front and back surround speakers for a surround sound system. Any advice of what to look for that will be reasonably priced?

Its being driven by a denon 2802 would like to spend about 200-300 per pair.

Forgot to mention, the room is 15x15 and would like something like 12"x14"9" or similar size. Not sure if thats considered bookshelf or bigger?

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
Right now you can get the Polk M70s tower speakers for about $350.00 (newegg)...alittle over your budget, but if things haven't changed too much since my day, you frat boys like volume. That speaker will get pretty loud and is pretty effiecient!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Eli,

They might be a little too big but will check the space, and yes, they love the volume lol. Its for my son, I was amazed at how many kids had full blown PA systems in their room. Its unreal how loud some of those rooms were when we were moving him in.

·
Registered
7,254 Posts
I will let the experts in the forum recommend smaller speaker that pack a punch...but in general, size matters when it comes to volume and quality of sound!

·
Registered
101 Posts
What about energy CB-5's or CB-10's? Both very good performers for the size, and the CB-5s would make good surrounds too. If you can go a little larger, there's a great deal at Vann's on Energy RC-10's @ $299 that would be a great deal for the performance.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, some very well priced, very well reviewed speakers are the infinity primus. i believe that the largest bookshelf speaker is only $200 a pair. give or take a few $. Those would probably do well. Another thing you could do, is buy used (if you arent against doing so). A lot of good audio bargains in the used market.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmatom89 /forum/post/20863780

Well, some very well priced, very well reviewed speakers are the infinity primus. i believe that the largest bookshelf speaker is only $200 a pair. give or take a few $. Those would probably do well. Another thing you could do, is buy used (if you arent against doing so). A lot of good audio bargains in the used market.

crutchfield is selling the p162 for 150 a pair. a steal if you ask me. i still feel like a thief.

·
Registered
26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL /forum/post/20864423

If you want fun speakers that play loud and are reasonably priced, look at Cerwin Vega. Perfect for a college kid.

I actually thought it was a rule to have CV's with no smaller than a 12" woofer in any college setting. The perfect frat speaker, they can play loud, sound good enough for intoxicated college girls to dance to and for the boys to lip sync to Lil Wayne. All this taking place while the receiver is cranked to max vol for 7 hrs straight and is smoking and on the verge of meltdown.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Heh... I had a pair of LaScalas AND a pair of EV Interface D's in my 15x15 (?) dorm room. Also had bunk beds, two dressers, two desks and a huge two sided stereo stand (the old furniture type with adjustable shelves)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.