AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I need some help with some speakers.  Yes, I realize everyone's tastes are different with speakers and the best way to find out is to listen to them, but that isn't an option with some of these so I'm looking for opinions from others who own these speakers or have heard them.  My build won't be finished for a few months and most of these places have good trial periods and return policies so I have no problem trying something new based on recommendations and just returning it if I don't like it.

I'm building a theater/media room in my basement.  It will be used primarily for movies and video games, but I will also have my home office in the back of the room so I'll be listening to music as well while i'm working.  Room is about 12'x20'x8'.  I've listened to Polk and Klipsch and while I liked both I preferred the sound of the Klipsch.  I haven't heard Infinity home speakers, but I've upgraded my car speakers in most of my past vehicles to Infinity's and have loved them.  I'll be doing 7.1 and was debating between Klipsch and Infinity from personal experience with them, but then I started reading on here about a bunch of other companies that I've never heard of, but many of you seem to enjoy.  Here's what I've priced out so far.

$1,540 - EMPtek - 2 pair E5bii bookshelf, 1 E56Ci center, 2 E55Ti towers

$1,290 - HSU - 6 HB-1 MK2 and 1 HC-1 MK2

$1,596 - HTD - 2 pair level 3 bookshelves, 1 level 3 center, 2 level 3 towers

$1,801 - Axiom - 2 pair M3 bookshelves, 1 VP100 center, 2 M50 towers

$1,960 - Klipsch - 2 pair RB-51 II bookshelves, RC-52 II center, 2 RF-52 II towers

$1,200 - Infinity Primus - 4 P163 bookshelves, 1 PC351 center, 2 P363 towers

$1,895 - Aperion Intimus - 2 pair 5B bookshelves, 1 5C center, 2 5T towers

$1,707 - Energy - 2 pair CB20 bookshelves, 1 CC-10 center, 2 CF-30 

As you can see, I'm looking around the $2k range for speakers, subs not included.  I still have more research to do on that end but leaning towards the BIC PL-200.  I'll talk about that in a different thread when the time comes.

I realize it's all subjective, but any thoughts on my choices?  Even if it's just build quality or customer service.  I've always upgraded my car audio equipment, but I really have no clue when it comes to home audio.  Only purchases I've ever made in home audio was the Logitech Z5500 5.1 system for a gaming pc I built and a couple different home theater in a box setups from Walmart and Best Buy so any advice at all is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If you are willing to spend $2k on speakers including a subwoofer, I would NOT recommend the Bic PL200. Given your budget you would get better bass performance spending slightly more on a subwoofer.

Buying a subwoofer from a company like SVS, HSU, Rhytmic, or Outlaw to name a few would give you more bass.

Your room is under 2000cu ft so a subwoofer like the SVS PB-1000 will be recommend subwoofer for $500 (they allow for a 45day in home trial)

As for speakers you might want to look at Ascend Acoustics or HTD (both companies have in home trial periods as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1512462/speakers-for-a-new-theater-media-room-build#post_24225414

If you are willing to spend $2k on speakers including a subwoofer, I would NOT recommend the Bic PL200. Given your budget you would get better bass performance spending slightly more on a subwoofer.

Buying a subwoofer from a company like SVS, HSU, Rhytmic, or Outlaw to name a few would give you more bass.

Your room is under 2000cu ft so a subwoofer like the SVS PB-1000 will be recommend subwoofer for $500 (they allow for a 45day in home trial)

As for speakers you might want to look at Ascend Acoustics or HTD (both companies have in home trial periods as well.

His budget was for the speakers not including the sub. I was going to recommend the Ascend's as well, 340's for the front three with four HTM-200's for surrounds. That will come out to about $1382 shipped. Then musicdirect.com has the Focal Chorus 700V series on sale. A pair of 706's(if you don't mind bookshelf speakers for your fronts), two pairs of 705's for surrounds and a 700 center channel will come out to $1496 with free shipping. If you went with the 714 towers and kept the 700 center channel and 705's as surrounds it would come out to $1767 shipped. Just a few more things to consider.

Reactions: stoudtlr

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Since you are still a few months away, you still have time >>> and this is a type of

thread that can get big. However, you can do some testing with a pair of bookshelf

speakers, testing their sound signature >> see what you like and then build around

that system.

I agree with the advice to get a better sub.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpoet25  /t/1512462/speakers-for-a-new-theater-media-room-build#post_24225474

His budget was for the speakers not including the sub..
I am aware but I wouldn't want him spending $2k on speakers alone and settle for the Bic PL-200 as he is out of money. It is my personal opinion that 1,500 on 7.0 speakers with $500 quality subwoofer will give a better theater experience.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1512462/speakers-for-a-new-theater-media-room-build#post_24225652

I am aware but I wouldn't want him spending $2k on speakers alone and settle for the Bic PL-200 as he is out of money. It is my personal opinion that 1,500 on 7.0 speakers with $500 quality subwoofer will give a better theater experience.
I can spend more on a sub if it's needed.  I just thought the BIC would be enough for the size room it's going in.  I'll definitely check out the SVS you recommended.  Like I said, clueless with home audio. More bass is always better though.  I had dual Cadence Wild Beast 12" 700W RMS subs connected to a 1600W RMS amp in my last car for 5 years so I do like my bass. :)

Thanks for the suggestions so far.  Guess I'll add Ascend's to the consideration list too since 2 out of the 3 that already responded recommended them.

·
Registered
187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1512462/speakers-for-a-new-theater-media-room-build#post_24225652

Understood. Another sub that would be a little more than the SVS you mentioned would be a Rhytmik LV-12R. I think you can get a discount on it too when you get it from Ascend with a speaker package. Might want to double check with Dave just to be safe.

Just went to the Ascend site and this was the total(pre shipping cost) for a pair of 340's, a 340 center, two pairs of HTM-200's and a Rythmik LV-12R sub is $1,837.05. There is a $194 speaker discount along with a $29.95 subwoofer discount. Something to keep in mind when you decide what to get.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I have the EMP speakers and those are very good. Not top of the line, mind you but very good speakers! Very balanced with excellent midbass, and maybe alittle weak on the low bass. I have also found that the EMPtek 1010i sub is very good. Yes, I have heard the SVS subs and they are likely better- hit lower and maybe more output. However, my dual 10 inch EMP sub easily outperforms the often recommended Klipsch RW12d...and I was able to to get the 1010i on sale for just under 300 dollars!

Edit...I forgot to mention this...the EMP sub is far and away the best looking sub I have seen. Man, most subs are big UGLY plastic boxes!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was able to get a used lens from the forums here so I'll be going with a 10ft wide 2.40 screen now. That means I'll have to go with an AT screen and do in-wall speakers for LCR's. What recommendations are there for good in-wall speakers?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just placed an order with Axiom for their new v4 speakers. Using 3 M22 in-walls for LCR and 2 pairs of QS8's for side and rear surrounds. They'll be here in a couple weeks. Still unsure on subs for the room. The wife isn't too thrilled about a big sub sitting around so I'm considering the DIY route and building a couple sealed enclosures to put in the front wall.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Axiom M3s were measured against a bunch of other speakers here and were found to have a pretty poor frequency response. In your list of choices, they would have been my last pick.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoudtlr  /t/1512462/speakers-for-a-new-theater-media-room-build#post_24493257

I just placed an order with Axiom for their new v4 speakers. Using 3 M22 in-walls for LCR and 2 pairs of QS8's for side and rear surrounds. They'll be here in a couple weeks. Still unsure on subs for the room. The wife isn't too thrilled about a big sub sitting around so I'm considering the DIY route and building a couple sealed enclosures to put in the front wall.

The Axiom will be fine...having owned 22's and having heard some of manufactured speakers on your list(Energy, Klipsch & Infinity). If you are not happy with them just return them as for the sub...one thing for sure there is literally no content

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Billy. Shady, I appreciate the input. Ive read that review and many others. Just as many good as bad. I'll see when I get them.

·
Registered
7,968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1512462/speakers-for-a-new-theater-media-room-build#post_24225414

I agree with crazyrob, look at the subs he mentions and add PSA to the mix as well.

As far as speakers go I would look at the Aperions for the simple reason that they have a similar deal to SVS. Aperion gives you 30 days no risk in home trial with free shipping both ways. What do you have to lose? Try them out in your home and if you like them keep them and if not ship them back for free. Can't beat a deal like that and you get to test them in your home, which is where the sound matters and where you always want to test speakers out. 

1 - 15 of 15 Posts