AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing a plasma which as the "commercial" model does not have any speakers. I would like to put small speakers next to it, so when I turn it on I get sound without having to use my HT all the time.

Can someone recommend speakers keeping the following in mind:

1) They must be very efficient as the output is only a few watts.

2) they need to be small and only 4 to 5 inches deep. The plasma and speakers will be mounted on the wall, and I don't want the speakers sticking out more than the TV does.

3) They will not be used with a subwoofer (there is one in the HT), so they should have a "decent" frequency response.

4) they need to be wall mountable, but I can't use in wall speakers as there is a stud directly behind where one of them should go.

5) The plasma I am getting is charcoal, so preferrably available in dark or black matte.

6) relatively inexpensive.

These speakers will be used only for casual listening (like when I watch the news, etc.) so they don't need to be high end. I have spent a great amount of time looking and have not come up with much. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

SMK

·
Registered
87 Posts
This may not seem very helpful, but I must ask: why?

Why not use your HT for "casual" listening? If you use a decent remote with macro capability, using your HT will not be significantly more difficult, yet will give you better sound for less money. And it will look cleaner too.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have researched this extensively b/c I'm in the same boat. After agonizing about the asthetics I conclude -- forget about the side mount speakers. The ones out there for Panny and Pio are VERY expensive and not worth it. I decided to go with a HT master controller remote and use the audio equiment all the time. If you are really set on something that will compliment your Palsma, check out DefTech "mythos" series. They are a bit pricey too, but they will look good -- haven't heard them though.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm with Brad. I got a Home Theater Master MX-500 (much simpler for everyone to figure out than a Pronto) and now all the "civilians" (e.g. Wife, kids, even visitors) can turn on all the appropriate gear for basic "TV watching" via sateliite with one click. One more click and a second macro switches the sat receiver and plasma over to HD.

Once you get past that barrier, then you can contemplate comething truly cool for wall mounted front L/R next to the plasma. Personally, I'm on the edge of ordering the Vienna Acoustics Weberns for that spot. Plasma depth, look great wall mounted, seriously good sound.

·
Registered
796 Posts
RoyGBiv,

I had the same situation, conducted research and purchased a pair of Klipsch Quintet speakers. They are very efficient due to their horn tweeters, come in charcoal or white and are readily available on-line. They are wall mountable with the equipped base that is standard to their design. They're 6" deep x 8" high including the attached base. Got a pair brand new for $78 on e-bay. There are always a number of pairs for sale there and usually you can get a pair under $100 inc. shipping.

Mine are connected to a Panasonic 6uy and they're great. Highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
GoIrish,

Your response is certainly the mosthelpful. I had looked at some Klipsch speakers at Tweeter and will look at them more closely.

In terms of the HT ideas, people must consider the WAF. I have a Cinema 7 which I program with a jp-1 cable. I have numerous macros. The problems are : 1) the wife won't use it, 2) the TV is on one wall and the electronics are 20 feet away on a wall at 90 degrees. One macro won't cut it to turn the TV and electronics on and make sure the receiver is set to the correct input, the DTC-100 is set correctly, etc. I can easily do it; it's my wife who doesn't want to take the time to learn. And, she has to approve the plasma purchase. It has to be "easy for me to use."

Thanks to all for your help.

SMK

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I used a pair of Quintets for my surrounds for a while. They're ok but don't have the greatest mount. Might be overkill if your only going to power them with a few watts.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone have any experience with JBL northridge speakers? I have a JBL center channel speaker which I like a lot. I have had good luck with JBLs in the past. The northridge series is not very high end, obviously, but I can get a pair from J and R for $99 with free shipping, and it appears they would fit most if not all the criteria above.

Any input?

SMK

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RoyGBiv
GoIrish,

In terms of the HT ideas, people must consider the WAF. I have a Cinema 7 which I program with a jp-1 cable. I have numerous macros. The problems are : 1) the wife won't use it, 2) the TV is on one wall and the electronics are 20 feet away on a wall at 90 degrees. One macro won't cut it to turn the TV and electronics on and make sure the receiver is set to the correct input, the DTC-100 is set correctly, etc. I can easily do it; it's my wife who doesn't want to take the time to learn. And, she has to approve the plasma purchase. It has to be "easy for me to use."

SMK
These are actually all surmountable problems. My HT equipment is hidden in a closet. I have a Zektor video switch, an HTPC, an XBox, a pre/pro, and a DVD player. My wife was not able to use my last system. She does not want to see the equipment, wants it easy to use, and wanted a Plasma for 'decor' reasons. I use a HTM remote, and an IR repeater. Macros do everything. Labels are intuitive. It took 5 minutes to teach my wife how to use the system. She is happy that one remote does everything (well mostly, I left the complex things off, to keep the interface simple).

Buy speakers if you want, but I'd look into make the system easier to use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.