AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get either a set of Paradigm Se's (2 of the Se 3 and 1 Se Center) or B&W 863 Towers with HTM61B

Both packages fall into the very low 1000 range, between 1100-1200

My amp is not the best, but im on a tight budget (already have it).. Denon Avr E400. which offers 95w at 8 ohm I do plan on adding a powered sub down the road, and making the system a complete 5.1 but for the time being its going to be LCR only.

Usage is movies and sports.

room size is roughly 12x12 8 ft ceiling

I heard the def tec bp840st, and found the bass to be lacking (especially with them advertising forget the subs!) also the sound was narrow? I donno how to describe it, I thought it would be a more complete sound but it seems like it left out a lot of detail.

Please help!! Se's or 683s?!

going to hear the se's this weekend

·
Registered
29,088 Posts
How did you come to this decision between the Paradigm and B&W? Have you heard both brands?

We can't tell you which is better because it is a listener preference. What I like may not sound good to you. If at all possible you should give each of those speakers a listen.

since your room is 12 x 12, I see no problem with your Denon e400 handling it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just looking for the best value in that 1200 price range.

Came to the paradigm conclusion based on lots of reviews I've read. Se's seem to be a great mix between monitors and studio. I feel their efficiency will allow my driver to push them a bit harder then it would the 683's

B&w 683's because I can get them at a decent price.. But in the end I feel like the e400 will leave alot of potential untapped in those.

Also I'm not really concerned with music, more so movies. Not adding a sub for awhile due to budget reasons.. So I want the towers to produce some kinda of low end.

Going today to hear the se's and compare them to the studio 60 as a reference.

Won't be hearing the 683's tho.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I recommend the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs instead. For movies and sports, you don't need the extra extension that tower speakers can add since you will eventually be using a sub. So better to buy a speaker that is designed more for that. These are easier to drive than the B&W 683s. Not only because of the higher sensitivity, but also because the B&Ws impedance drops range drops to 3 ohms.

Just thought I'd suggest it because these will save you a little money and put you closer towards getting your sub

·
Registered
6,308 Posts
fwiw, I also agree that book shelves would be better value with the use of a sub. another recommendation kef q300's( accessories4less $500 free ship.) and a kef q600 center ( accessories4less $470 f.s)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Well this happened last night... I appreciate the recommendation guy sbut between hearing the bp8040st two days ago.. And then the paradigm se's I really couldn't help my self

·
Registered
3,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14swap240sx  /t/1489436/speakers-for-denon-avr-b-w-or-paradigm#post_23709917

Well this happened last night... I appreciate the recommendation guy sbut between hearing the bp8040st two days ago.. And then the paradigm se's I really couldn't help my self

Excellent choice! I recently picked up the Paradigm SE speakers as an

Upgrade for my bedroom 3.1 set up. Quite frankly, I was stunned at the

Sound quality from these speakers.

With Paradigm discontinuing this series dealers are offering good

Close out pricing. IMHO this makes these speakers one of the best

" deals" out there.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by s14swap240sx  /t/1489436/speakers-for-denon-avr-b-w-or-paradigm#post_23709917

That's awesome. Congrats on the new speakers.

When you are ready to get a sub to pair with them, be sure to check out the AVS subwoofer forum for help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts