AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided on a reciever - Denon AVR791 or 891 and am looking for speakers.

I've read good thinks on Energy speakers so I am leaning towards them but am open to other suggestions. My room is about 15 feet by 15 feet. and open concept. I want good sound - this is a must. I do not want huge floor standing speakers but can live with small floor standing for the front.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts
the Energy CF-30s and CF-50s are not that big and should be small enough to meet your criteria, They are good sounding speakers, but will need a Subwoofer to match with them. The CC10 is a good center, will provide excellent dialog.

Other speakers you could consider that are smaller towers, PSB T5, Monitor Audio BX5, NHT has a pair.

budget?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
budget is aprox $1000

I've read good thinks on Energy speakers so I am leaning towards them but am open to other suggestions. My room is about 15 feet by 15 feet. and open concept. I want good sound - this is a must. I do not want huge floor standing speakers but can live with small floor standing for the front.

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blexann /forum/post/19614178

budget is aprox $1000

I used to own Energys and will always have a soft spot for them, they are nice speaker with good sound. I recently sold mine and got Dynaudios. I would say to get the CF50s if you can. $1000 budget would allow you to get the CF50s and CC10 center channel. You still would need a Sub and surrounds tho.

The CF30s should be able to be bought on vanns.com for about $199 ea last time I checked. I am sure you could get a deal on a 5.0 setup.

Actually, look at the bundles tab on this page on the right side of the Energy speaker,

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...46/energy-cf30

it has the 5.1 setup for $1049

The sub isn't the best, but on your budget, this would be a hard deal to pass up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by callas01 /forum/post/19614227

I used to own Energys and will always have a soft spot for them, they are nice speaker with good sound. I recently sold mine and got Dynaudios. I would say to get the CF50s if you can. $1000 budget would allow you to get the CF50s and CC10 center channel. You still would need a Sub and surrounds tho.

The CF30s should be able to be bought on vanns.com for about $199 ea last time I checked. I am sure you could get a deal on a 5.0 setup.

Actually, look at the bundles tab on this page on the right side of the Energy speaker,

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...46/energy-cf30

it has the 5.1 setup for $1049

The sub isn't the best, but on your budget, this would be a hard deal to pass up.

I'm in Canada and they dont ship here but thanks very much for your suggestions. One thing, I've noticed on here that many people purchase the subwoofer as a separate item ...why is that ?

·
Registered
4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blexann /forum/post/19614257

I'm in Canada and they dont ship here but thanks very much for your suggestions. One thing, I've noticed on here that many people purchase the subwoofer as a separate item ...why is that ?

there are subwoofer MFGs, esp internet direct MFGs that do it better for less. In Canada the SVS subs would be better buy. Or you could have Elemental Designs ship you one of theirs and they are very good subs too.

I am sure you could talk future shop into that kind of a deal for those same speakers.

Otherwise, get the CB20s on stands and the rest of the setup...

·
Registered
30,154 Posts

Quote:
One thing, I've noticed on here that many people purchase the subwoofer as a separate item ...why is that ?

because the best subwoofer companies are NOT always the same as the best speaker companies.... plus there is no need to "match" the subwoofer to the other speakers.

the "all in one package" deal is mostly for entry-level HTIB systems and to make things easier for the buyer. But once you get to a certain point of quality, you can get more bang-for-your-buck by purchasing components separately.

If you are interested in Energy speakers, the RC's (better than the C's that are linked above) are being blown out as they are discontinued. For your $1000 budget, you could get:

- pair of Energy RC-30 ( $179 each at Audio Advisor )

- pair of RC-10 for surrounds ( $299 shipped at Vann's )

- RC-Mini CC ( $129 shipped at Vann's )

- A good $200 subwoofer like BIC F12 or H-100....

the RC-30's are pretty small and slim for tower speakers. Build quality is very good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/19615156

because the best subwoofer companies are NOT always the same as the best speaker companies.... plus there is no need to "match" the subwoofer to the other speakers.

the "all in one package" deal is mostly for entry-level HTIB systems and to make things easier for the buyer. But once you get to a certain point of quality, you can get more bang-for-your-buck by purchasing components separately.

If you are interested in Energy speakers, the RC's (better than the C's that are linked above) are being blown out as they are discontinued. For your $1000 budget, you could get:

- pair of Energy RC-30 ( $179 each at Audio Advisor )

- pair of RC-10 for surrounds ( $299 shipped at Vann's )

- RC-Mini CC ( $129 shipped at Vann's )

- A good $200 subwoofer like BIC F12 or H-100....

the RC-30's are pretty small and slim for tower speakers. Build quality is very good.

I just had a listen to the CF-30's at Futuershop. Hooked up to a Yamaha (no idea which model) and listening to music on FM. I found it lacking in bass (bass was set at +10db (full)).

Maybe because there was no sub attached ?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts