AVS Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Kanto rep here so take my biased advice with a grain of salt, but afaik LSX does not have auto-on via the wired connections. They turn on automatically via wifi or Bluetooth. I don't know if AVS allows external links but one reddit customer made a list of gripes/deficiencies of using LSX on desktop. Link here.

TUK was designed with features to make it work well on desktop - Low noise floor, USB input, headphone out, auto on/off that you can defeat it so it stays on all the time, LED brightness control. PM me if you have any specific questions.
Thanks for your answer. How close to the back wall can the TUK (since it has a back port)?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for your answer. How close to the back wall can the TUK (since it has a back port)?
We suggest a minimum of 8" / 20 cm in our manuals. If you have them that close to a wall you'll likely have to reduce bass a few notches as there's going to be a lot of low-end energy emitted from the sides and rear of speaker, reflecting off the walls and causing boundary gain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

Please suggest speakers that would fit the following requirements:

1. They would be placed on the back of a desk, very close to the wall, with a shelf on top of them, so basically only the front side will be open. About 3.5' of space between them.
2. They should be at most 10" deep (but they can be quite tall - 18")
3. If passive, I should be able to drive them with a small amp/dac (such as the Topping MX3)
4. Should cost no more than $600 (maybe a bit more, if active). The lower the price the better, but I want something which will be an obvious upgrade from my AudioEngine A2+.
5. They should sound good at low volumes but should also get decently loud without distorting (but the room is small, so no need to get exceptionally loud)
6. They will be used for music (mostly EDM), but also function as PC speakers for youtube etc, so they should be forgiving of not so great sources.
7. I don't care about their appearance.

They can be passive or active speakers, but in the case of active studio monitors, I should be able to connect them directly to my PC, without an additional interface.

Thanks!
Pretty late to the party but here's my two cents:

-ILoud MTM's ($350/each, $700 for a pair). Watch z's shining review of them. Basically, all content I've seen about them is very positive, but they can be picky speakers. Be wary of clipping in the low-end (These are 2 3.5 inch drivers), it shouldn't be a problem (or much of one, at least) provided that you play quietly, have a sub to augment the bass, or if you don't set the settings to 40db, sometimes to 50db. Otherwise, jeez, they're nice. Try them out on amazon, they have free returns.
-XTZ spirit 4's:$550 w/ shipping, xtz has a 30-day buy n' try policy. Pretty neutral speakers, not harsh at all. They play nice with a lot of amps, very musical. Andrew Robinson did a video about them. Nearfield I'm not super sure how well they'll do, but they look quite nice.
  • Yamaha HS8's well I mean they are what they are. Buy them off of amazon and see if you like them, you can always return them if you don't. Not much to say here, they're quite nice, fairly neutral, a good standard most of the time.
  • Tannoy Gold 7's/8's. Pretty neutral, they're coaxial monsters with a front port and are powered. Free returns on amazon, you can try them out if you'd like.
-Klipsch fives/sixes. They're... good, but they have that signature klipsch sound (I believe the sound signature is in a bit of a 'smiley' shape, those aluminum tweeters can be piercing at times). The fives have really good bass for their size but sometimes they can have too much bass. You might want to try them or skip them, you know the drill, free returns on amazon.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts