AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New guy on the block~
I was doing a lot of reading and reviews and at one point the Cambridge S30's bookshelves seem to be a great hit even over floor standings.
I can't find any used or new and I hear the SX50's are not as good.
Although a complete novice, I was shocked to hear how great a book shelf can be over a floor standing but ok.
I just got a Harman Kardon 3390 and trying to pair up something nice and as usual, won't break the bank.
All my Craigslist has is junk or low quality and bad review stuff.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,235 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I see you a fan of the JBL 530's. Still like them the best and worth spending the Extra $$
Can I tolerate them without a sub for a while ?
It would be nice to see a sale somewhere but I don't LOL

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
I would try a pair of these Chane A3rx-c, really great bang for your buck. The EMP E55Ti is another great option, but a little above your budget.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, Zieglj01
I see a pair of Cambrdge s30's on the real cheap but don't want money to get in the way of sound since I see the JBL 530's do go on sale.
Any opinion on comparing the 2?
Cambridge S30
JBL 530's?

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
Thanks, Zieglj01
I see a pair of Cambrdge s30's on the real cheap but don't want money to get in the way of sound since I see the JBL 530's do go on sale.
Any opinion on comparing the 2?
Cambridge S30
JBL 530's?
The S30 is good - however, they are minor league compared to the Studio 530

These are some of the speakers that others, have chosen/preferred the JBL Studio
530 speakers over >>>
Aperion Intimus 5B, Ascend Acoustics Sierra, Audioengine P4, Axiom Audio M22, B&W 683 & 685,
Dali Mentor & Icon, Dynaudio Contour & Focus, Epos Epic 1, GoldenEar Triton & Aon, Linn, NHT Classic 3,
Magnepan MMG & 1.6, Monitor Audio Silver RS6 & RX1, RSL CG4, Revel F12, and Tekton Design Model 4.5.
and there are some others such as PSB Image and KEF Q series.

I would keep the Studio 530 on a short list.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The S30 is good - however, they are minor league compared to the Studio 530

These are some of the speakers that others, have chosen/preferred the JBL Studio
530 speakers over >>>
Aperion Intimus 5B, Ascend Acoustics Sierra, Audioengine P4, Axiom Audio M22, B&W 683 & 685,
Dali Mentor & Icon, Dynaudio Contour & Focus, Epos Epic 1, GoldenEar Triton & Aon, Linn, NHT Classic 3,
Magnepan MMG & 1.6, Monitor Audio Silver RS6 & RX1, RSL CG4, Revel F12, and Tekton Design Model 4.5.
and there are some others such as PSB Image and KEF Q series.

I would keep the Studio 530 on a short list.
Thank you for the details.
"and there are some others such as PSB Image and KEF Q series."
I just got back from testing these 2 and although the Kef q100's were nice, they just didn't do it for me or wow me.
There is no way of testing the JBL's but for the price range, design and reviews, I'm gong to keep them on the list for a while to see if they go on sale while keeping an eye out for something better in the price range used.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
19,818 Posts
Thank you for the details.
"and there are some others such as PSB Image and KEF Q series."
I just got back from testing these 2 and although the Kef q100's were nice, they just didn't do it for me or wow me.
There is no way of testing the JBL's but for the price range, design and reviews, I'm gong to keep them on the list for a while to see if they go on sale while keeping an eye out for something better in the price range used.
Thanks again.
I am not a big fan of the PSB Image series - I could not live with them long term.

The JBL has even been preferred over the KEF Q300.

However, all this is subjective - enjoy the search adventure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has the JBL 530's gone on sale since the one time in the beginning of 2014 for $369?
I have a feeling I will still need to sub these so I was thinking maybe I should buck up to $900-$1000 range for some floor standing or do you still think the JBL 530 route?
Again these will be paired with HK 3390
Mostly Music
Mostly rock, southern Roc style.
P.S. if I do Sub with the 530's, how about a recommendation on one of them too

Thanks again to the forum.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Fortunately, with the JBL Studio 530s, they have good bass (down to around the upper 40 Hz range), so a subwoofer won't be an immediate concern. If you are thinking about a subwoofer, there is no great need for towers. I'd save up in order to get an accomplished subwoofer … perhaps something along the lines of the Rythmik LV12R. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

BTW, the 530s were next on my list to audition (but decided to go with another speaker I auditioned at home).

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Thank you again.
I just scored a brand new pair of JBL 530's for $399.00 + free shipping and NO tax Wahoooo.
Now, I have to wait.....
That's a great deal! Please let us know how you like them. Pictures are also nice to see :).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts