AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've been upgrading the HT step-by-step for a year now. Done the TV, Blu Ray, and AVR. We are redoing our ceiling taking off popcorn finishing, and the floors (had wire under the carpet) so I figured now is the time for some new speakers! I'd love any advice you can provide.

Here is what I am working with:

AVR - Onkyo TX-NR709

TV - Samsung PN64D550C1FXZA

Blu Ray - Panny DMP - BDT220

I'm currently using a 5.1 setup with some old stock speakers that came with an Onkyo HT system from 2006. As for what I am looking to get out of it - my wife just doesn't like loud music or movies so we never really boom it. So as loud as possible isn't really what I need. I'd be looking for clarity and accuracy, nice speakers to enjoy our Blu Rays and some music. Just doesn't need to make my wife's ears bleed

It is a larger room, about 20x20 with vaulted ceilings. I'm not sure if I should go for 5.1 or 7.1, suppose it depends on how much the surrounds are. I have done some reading on here and it seems as if the Klipsch RW-12d is a good sub to go with. It's on sale for $299 shipped at Newegg through tonight. Was thinking I might just go ahead and get that, leaving me about $700 to spend on speakers.

I am open to all ideas but am intrigued by in ceiling. My wife would love the reduced clutter in the room so I'd have an easier time getting her buy in. Have been researching Cambridge Soundworks Ambiance 80s for surround and their MC300 for center for starters.

What say the experts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
In ceiling is not a very good idea for the front sound stage. Your setup will sound much better if the left/right and center around your tv instead of way above.

The RW-12d is a very good sub. Might be a little challenged in that size space, but you can'd do better for the money.

I'd recommend building 2.1 or 3.1 and then adding the other speakers later on when you can. Get something a little better for you money. For instance, look into Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 SE and CBM-170s.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Thats a big room, with vaulted ceilings your probably looking at 6000 cu.ft. Its a good think you say you dont want it loud because that room would be difficult to fill by some of the largest subwoofers. I think you are making a good choice with that sub though. Ascend has some very nice speakers. Depending on how far away you are will determine which speakers are recommended. As for in-wall speakers I think its not ideal. To get quality in wall speakers is usually rather pricey. I would convince her that to stay in that budget and still get good quality sound it would be better to go with traditional bookshelves. Look at this look and price out the HTM-200's. They are roughly $722 shipped for a 5.0 setup. While they are not incredibly large or have massiv output I think they would sound pretty good, again this depends on the distance. If you are 20' back from the fronts you might want to look at speakers with >92db sensitivity.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/purchase/advisor.mv#bottom

cel4145 beat me to it lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.