AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

i just purchased a Yamaha HTR6160. i currently have a JVC TH-C6 running in my basement but found it inadequate for my needs as i required something more powerful and something better! sucks that the HTR i bought only has 2 inputs but thats ok..

My question is that on my JVC system, i have the 5 speakers which i think are good but they are rated at 3 ohms at 167 watts.

the yamaha amp can do 95 watts. do i need to get new speakers or can i utilize the speakers that i have in the basement already? i got this from the specs sheets.. Dynamic Power (8/6/4/2 ohms)

Thanks

Jay

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
at low volumes the Yamaha could probably live with the 3 ohm speakers, but if you try to drive the speakers much, the low impedance speakers could damage you amplifier section.

pawn the old JVC stuff off on someone and get some decent speakers to go with you new receiver. At a minimum http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16882290066 or http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...2-hcs-5-silver for small HT speaker systems, or something like these Jamo towers and get a subwoofer when the budget allows http://www.wwstereo.com/#/ecommerce/...103__0_0_0_-1/

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hm, at the moment i already have 2 fisher tower speakers, theyre old i think but still quite capable at 60 watts and impedance of 6ohms.

i also have a aiwa set that has the 5.1 system from an old stereo i had.

the sub is a TS W45, i can always upgrade later, but i find that sub to be very good to me, good deep bass and all.

the two other speakers are 6 ohm as well at 40 watts.

however, the center, and surround speakers that came with my old aiwa are rated at 40 watts at 8ohm so thats good right there and will work with the yamaha.

just wanna know what to do with the 4 speakers that are at 6 ohm, its ok to mix with a few 8ohms?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
please remember that the impedance rating of speakers is an "average" of the range the impedance changes with input frequency and power levels. 6 ohm or 8 ohm is the average and the speakers can, and do, go lower in impedance (or higher) as the source changes.

For all practical purposes, 6 ohm and 8 ohm are not a problem for amplifiers rated for 8 ohm output. A long as volume levels remain "normal to low" you will not have a problem.

Mixing speakers is certainly doable, but you should try to match the front three so the very important front soundstage is timbre matched - and timbre is usually matched though using the same tweeter in all three units.

so, can you mix and match your 6 ohm and 8 ohm speakers - sure, but your results may not be optimum. You may have to experiment with the speakers and see which arrangement you like the best. But I would view this as an interim solution and start building a budget to upgrade to a modern speaker setup. Ultimately, the quality of your speakers will have much more impact on your HT setup than the receiver will.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
was wondering if the YAMAHA NS-AP2800 were good pairs of speakers to get?

i can add another 2 existing but just wanna know if those yamaha speakers are good to go with.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anywhere in canada with stores like that? im lookin to hook up like a 7.1 system, and energy speakers do look nice.

thanks

i was actually looking at the energy C50 surround speakers, with no sub it would cost me about 450

1 - 8 of 8 Posts