AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to install some speakers in my shop. Preferably some in walls, but I'm not sure what I want to do yet and what will be the most cost effective.

Anyways I have 2 questions and open to suggestions.

1. Since the speakers will be in my shop, there will be quite a bit of sawdust/particles floating around. Will this have any effect on what type of speaker I should buy?

2. Not so important question, but since you're here already maybe some suggestions: What should I power the speakers with? I'm mainly just looking for some AM/FM radio and an ipod plug-in. Also, the reception inside my shop isn't very good to pick up radio signal, is there anything I can do to improve it?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How big is your shop, how loud we talking here? I would probably throw a pair of towers in the room, put a reciever in a seperate room to keep the dust out. Can you hook an antenna up to the exterior and run the wire inside? Hang it to the roof of the building.

You don't want the open top of a reciever exposed to sawdust. Good way to power a fire, and ruin the reciever. Get something with a USB plug and hook your ipod up to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my shop is 30' x 36'. I just have a normal little stereo system in there right now and it does the job, but just want to upgrade a little bit. I'm not looking for too fancy and don't need it to be super loud. I thought about just doing like a car deck with some speakers, but then I didn't want to have to hook it up to a battery if I didn't have to. I don't have an option of putting the receiver in another room, because the shop is just one open space detached from my house. The only internet I have out there is wifi.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recommendation Rob. What do you think about the sawdust issue and the receiver though? I want something that will last me awhile and that is my main concern right now whether or not my system will be able to withstand the sawdust/paint particles.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I recommend Sonos. Purchase a Play:5 and a bridge to connect to the router in your house and all your problems are solved for $450.00 and you have access to all the music in the world at your fingertips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.