AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my '606 the day after Christmas after months of research. Picked it up from HH Gregg (surprisingly, they matched Amazons price of $349). I'm replacing an 8 year old Kenwood HTIB (HTB 503). I am currently using the speakers from the system but want to upgrade. Here's my setup:

TV: Samsung LN52A630

BluRay: Samsung BP-1500

Sat: DirecTV H20

Receiver Onkyo TX-SR606

Room Dimensions: 20X14 (Hardwood floors, cathedral ceiling 8ft at walls, 12ft at peak , and no wall on left side)

I have been reading reviews from everywhere, including this site, and now I'm more confused than ever. I am by no means an audiophile but I want the best sound quality for my (limited) buck in a 5.1 setup. I've gone back and forth between bookshelf and satellites. I'm considered the following setups (in no particular order):

Satellites

1. Energy Take Classic

2. Klipsch Quintet III (with my exsisting sub for now)

3. Polk RM6750

4. Energy Act6

5. Harmon Kardon HKTS-18

Bookshelf:

1. Energy: C-100(FRT), C-50(REAR), C-C100(center)

2. Polk: Monitor 30 (FRT & REAR), CS2(center)

3. tsc: ???

Obviously, I'm partial to Satellite systems, this is due largely to my desire for "smaller" rear speakers. My concerns are:

1. Will I really notice a difference with "better" speakers?

2. Loss of "fullness" compared to my larger, although lesser quality, HTIB speakers

3. Sound quality with music. I do't listen to music often, but when I do I like prefer it moderately loud. Use will be about 70/30 (movies,TV/music).

I apologize for the long post. I repect the input from the posts from this site. I would like to hear any input on the systems mentioned and/or alternatives you'e used with the Onkyo '606 in similarly sized rooms. I understand that sound is largely subjective but any inputprovided will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Any of the small speaker packages you’re looking at will be OK, in fact they’ll probably look nice and will be fun for movies and TV. But for music the small speakers just won’t cut it in stereo. In my opinion it gets tiresome listening to music with all 5.1 speakers going…the only way small speakers like those sound OK. Small speakers with 3” cones sound horrible in 2.1. The Energy or Polk speakers will sound much better for music/movies/TV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the onkyo 605 and the polk 6750's hooked up to one of our tv's and they seem to work well together. This is in a 14x20 (+/-) room with 8' ceilings- no vault.

As for music- I haven't used any source other than the digital cable box, but music on the palladium hd channel sounds good to me- even when cranked up a bit.

·
Registered
231 Posts
"1. Will I really notice a difference with "better" speakers?"

Probably and arguably the MOST important part of your system!!! You have already experienced the letdown of inadequate speakers. Don't make the same mistake twicw.

You never stated your budget. I have decided to purchase a good set of mains for the money I WAS willing to spend on all of the speakers. I will and the others speakers as funds permit. I know that I will enjoy it more in the long run.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
If you're wanting small speakers, look into the DefTech ProMonitors.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The quintet iii will not be loud enough for a room that size. I got them for christmas and am taking them back. they sound ok, but are way too underpowered for a 20 x 15 x 8 room.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Nanosats, Orbs, and Aperion 4B's are usually my picks for small speakers. If you can go bookshelves, do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok... I pulled the trigger on speakers today, here's what I ordered

Fr: Energy c-100 (2)

Rr: Energy c-50 (2)

Ctr: Energy cc-50

1. Is the cc-50 going to timbre match ok with the c-100's?

2. any suggestions for a good inexpensive sub to replace the one from my old kenwood htb 503?

Thanks for all your help thus far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm also in the same delima as you were and was thinking the exact same energy set up you purchased or the hkts 18.

I'm wondering what you think of the energy set up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't received them yet. UPS tried to deliver the c-50's and the cc-50 today but I missed them. The c-100 should be delivered Friday. I'll certainly post my thoughts when I get them. I can't wait.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You will really like the Energy speakers. I myself upgraded to a slightly different setup:

C-C100 center

C-300 fronts

C-50s surrounds

PA-120 Sub

I also have the 606 and a Sammy Plasma. Needless to say, everything goes together extremely well! I have a fairly large room, about 25x15 with nearly a 20 feet ceiling and had to go with the larger speakers to get that room filling sound. No regrets at all and both movies and music sound awesome now.

Let us know how you like it!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I found few threads on this topic already, still need some help with my needs.

I am new to home theater, speakers and the technical details.

My living room is 20 X 14 feet, tile floor, with some vaulted ceiling. However, from TV, its just 8 ft distance.

I have following doubts in my mind,

I was originally interested in Bose 10 speakers or Klipsh quintet III. However, due to budget and lack of knowledge to run wires to rear myself, I am looking for options that I could build slowly.

I found def tech pro monitor 800 to be very attractive but its sub itself costs $400.

1) does it make sense to buy Onkyo 606 if I am only going to use 3.1 setup for now? or is 606 a over kill here? or does it even support such config?

2) any suggestions on a sub that will fit well with pro monitor 800 LRC speakers? I heard about Polk PSW10 for about $150 or less

3) I just read about Energy Take Classic 5.1 speaker set review in CNET. Given its $400 price incl sub, is it worthy alternative? anywhere compatible with def tech? I am not an audiophile, just looking for some good sound for music and movies

4) Should I dump all these and just go with a 2.1 system like Bose 321 GS III?

appreciate your suggestions...

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkfl /forum/post/16015336

1) does it make sense to buy Onkyo 606 if I am only going to use 3.1 setup for now? or is 606 a over kill here? or does it even support such config?
I have the 606 as well and as far as I know its either 2.1, 5.1, or 7.1. In order to get the center running, you would have to set it to 5.1, but then you would miss out on the "rear" sounds.

2) any suggestions on a sub that will fit well with pro monitor 800 LRC speakers? I heard about Polk PSW10 for about $150 or less
As far as a sub goes, it really doesnt have to match the other speakers. You can pick up the PSW10 for about $100 on newegg, but for that large of a room, you may want to go bigger. Check out the PA-120 or the BIC H-100 on fleabay. I just picked up the PA-120 for $229 shipped.

4) Should I dump all these and just go with a 2.1 system like Bose 321 GS III?
I would steer away from Bose. Decent sound, but you can have a much better system for the same price or less.

appreciate your suggestions...

What exactly is your budget? Do you have to go with bookshelf speakers? Especially If you go with a 2.1, those little speakers are going to have a hard time in that large of a room. If you look into floorstanders for a 2.1 I think you would be much happier.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:

I was originally interested in Bose 10 speakers or Klipsh quintet III. However, due to budget and lack of knowledge to run wires to rear myself, I am looking for options that I could build slowly.

Nothing to see here, just step away from the Bose....

Quote:

II found def tech pro monitor 800 to be very attractive but its sub itself costs $400.

Much better sub options at all dollar ranges. The PM800 are nice speakers, buy a different sub.

Quote:

I1) does it make sense to buy Onkyo 606 if I am only going to use 3.1 setup for now? or is 606 a over kill here? or does it even support such config?

If you plan to go 5.1 eventually buy a receiver now that can do it and grow as you can afford.

Quote:

I2) any suggestions on a sub that will fit well with pro monitor 800 LRC speakers? I heard about Polk PSW10 for about $150 or less

for

·
Registered
47 Posts
thanks for quick responses.

to give more details about my needs,

I dont have any HDMI systems yet (no hdtv, blueray, game systems etc). It may be couple of years before getting into that). So, for now its just music and regular dvd/tv sound. Also, with small kids at home, not looking for floor speakers now.

my budget for building a system under $1000 (incl receiver & speakers).

Still debating about the speakers,

1) I have a feeling that for same cost if I get just LRC speakers from def tech and some other subwoofer, I will have better quality sound than 5.1 system from Energy take classic - true? this will allow me to add rear speakers after year or two from def tech brand itself.

2) If I do decide to go with Enery 5.1 speakers, will running the rear speaker wires under the area rug work (I have tile floor)? is that one of the common way for people to set it up?

oh, one more detail I wanted to confirm - will 606 handle different video schemes such as PAL, NTSC?

thanks again for your tips!

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrkfl /forum/post/16017501

I dont have any HDMI systems yet (no hdtv, blueray, game systems etc). It may be couple of years before getting into that). So, for now its just music and regular dvd/tv sound.

If that's the case, you certainly don't need to spend limited dollars on an Onkyo 606. You can get a good AVR with digital optical input for way less money (especially if you go used off of craigslist), and then get the new receiver when you get something that needs HDMI.

Quote:

my budget for building a system under $1000 (incl receiver & speakers).

For $1000 you can do OK. There are several threads discussing this kind of budget, have done a search?

Quote:

1) I have a feeling that for same cost if I get just LRC speakers from def tech and some other subwoofer, I will have better quality sound than 5.1 system from Energy take classic - true? this will allow me to add rear speakers after year or two from def tech brand itself.

You should go and listen to some speakers to decide what you like. DefTech are really good, so are Energy (KEF, Polk, av123, etc, etc).

Generally, better quality speakers will sound better.

Those DefTechs are a step up from the Take Classic, so would some other speakers from Energy (and others).

Building over time let's you spend more money on each component, but you lack the full surround at the start (and you may find a full cheaper system makes you really happy). Only you can decide the right path for you, we can make suggestions.

Quote:

2) If I do decide to go with Enery 5.1 speakers, will running the rear speaker wires under the area rug work (I have tile floor)? is that one of the common way for people to set it up?

I think, especially with kids, you would have a problem with wires like that.

What does your room look like? Can you run the wires for the rear speakers around the wall in the baseboard?

Wireless, although not ideal, is another option.

Quote:

oh, one more detail I wanted to confirm - will 606 handle different video schemes such as PAL, NTSC?

It is not the receiver that handles those things, its is the disc player. If you want PAL and NTSC you should look into Oppo players.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for detailed responses.

My living room is long with vaulted ceiling and opens to kitchen as well. So, not a media room type of env. The entertainment center is against a wall which has doors on both sides and hence not sure if I can run wires through baseboard. Wireless or rug are the options have so far.

About the simpler AVRs, Can you please suggest some? I did littlbe bit of reading, and found these receivers for $200 or so.

Yamaha RX-V363, RX-V365bl (2009 model), Onkyo TX-SR304, Sony STR-DG520,

Sony STR-DH500 (2009 model). I also saw reference to Onky 8255 somewhere.

thanks

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Look into Rocketfish or similar wireless adapter for you rear speakers - $105 at BB

Of the AVRs you listed I like the Yamaha best. Where do you live, have you checked Craigslist?

Assuming you find a receiver for $200, spend $100 for rear wireless, then you have $700 for 5.1.

Look into:

- the Energy 5.0 system from wwstereo, for $400,

- the PA-120 sub from eBay for $230

·
Registered
47 Posts
an update...

I had a chance to buy Bose 321 gsx II floor sample for $500 (new costs $900+) so wanted to try it out.

Then I also bought Sony HT-SS2300 to know real difference between surround speakers vs simulation.

1) After boosting bass and treble all the way up, Bose sounded very good for music. Not very good movie experience. The sound was subdued compared to the Sony surround speakers

2) The voice quality on Sony speakers were however not very good either even though I liked the surround experience.

3) To extend my experience, I bought the Energy classic speakers on sale for $350 and connected them to the sony receiver - just to study how better it is.

Question1: Even though it is a temporary set up to know the difference in quality, is it okay to connect these 8ohm speakers to a 3ohm receiver? will it damage the receiver or speakers?

With sony speakers, I felt that the sound was kind of attacking me, not a pleasant listening experience (compared to Bose). I somehow felt the same with the Energy (LCR) also. Then I disconnected the Sony sub-woofer and the blaring sound was gone.

question 2: is this due to low quality of the sub-woofer or am I in surprise for all woofers? I didnt feel it that way at best buy store when I listened to some other set ups.

Then I lowered the bass settings to lowest in the sony receiver and it was better.

I played a custom made CD with collection of varied music and played on Sony + Energy set up VS Bose.

Even though most of the songs sounded more or less equal, I did find some instances where Sony + Energy failed to reproduce some of the sounds that Bose did.

Question 3: Is this a problem due to Sony receiver quality (its basically a HTIB receiver) or Energy is a good quality but entry level speakers with its own limitations?

Anyways, I still returned the Bose as I also wanted good movie experience and will return Sony HTIB as well.

I went on to buy Def tech proCinema 600 speakers for $700 but waiting for Denon 1609 receiver to come. Dont want to pair them with Sony HTIB receiver this time. Now I will be able to compare Energy and Def tech speakers before firming up my configuration.

Since I didnt find a place to experience Energy speakers and thought the Bose deal was too good, I had to go through this direct experiments but good experience.

Any comments on the questions and the experiment?

thanks

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Experimenting is a good thing...

...returning the Bose was also a good thing.

The DefTech ProCinema is a nice system where size is a major restriction - but the sub in it will definitely be the weak link.

Question 1. Not positive, should be OK but I will defer to those who know more than I.

Question 2. A Sony HTIB is, well just a Sony HTIB. You are talking about a $1000 budget, you will have much nicer sound than that - and it seems you are demanding much better. The Bose is designed to give a pleasant experience, unfortunately although not unpleasant it will not be fulfilling - and for $1K you can get a fulfilling experience.

Question 3. Yes, the Energy will sound better with a better receiver - but they are still an entry system. The Energy system I mentioned at wwstereo is a step up.

Keep having fun!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts