AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all first time poster but longtime lurker here. I am the new owner of a Outlaw audio 5000 amp and their 975 processor. And I am looking for a new 5.1 speaker combination to match with this amp other than what i have.

I want front towers, center channel, 1 sub, and 2 bookshelfs for the rears. looking to keep the price around 2600$ for the whole deal. I am not into a overly bright sound and like a more balanced sound low/mid/highs when it comes to speakers.

So far I really like what I am seeing in the SVS Prime towers,bookshelfs,center pb-2000 sub and have been leaning toward that setup more and more. I dont know where to actually listen to these at near South Bend Ind so hard to know for sure. Been just reading alot of reviews and really like the specs on these...

Does anyone have any recomendations for this price range for a good balanced sound? any help would be appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Well you can listen to that SVS set-up right in your own home. They are not really carried in stores as they are an internet direct company.

But they do sell their products with a 45day risk free in home trial period. If you don't like the speakers you can return them.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
Everyone seems to want towers for their front speakers, even with a sub (which is often a waste of money). What MAY dictate speakers selection is the distance to the listening position, while subwoofers ARE dictated by room volume (and if your room is not closed off). In order to recommend anything, that is the information I'd be looking for. That, and whether this system is more for movies than music.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The room is not closed off, it connects to a bathroom and kitchen isnt fully open because of a bathroom and basement. not sure the measurements offhand but i believe about 11ftx18ft or so.
The listening distance is about 8ft. To be honest i love music and movies equally but music is whats more important to me.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I'll assume your area is the top of a medium size room (for your listening area and kitchen, if your ceiling height is 8 feet) -- 1,500 to 3,000 cu. ft. is a medium size room. You have a fairly generous budget, but I'd spend the majority on a great subwoofer (or two). As far as speakers, there are so many really good ones to choose from. Companies like Ascend Acoustics, Hsu Research, EMP Tek, NHT, JBL (530s) and on and on. And believe it or not, one can get excellent bookshelf speakers for a song:

Andrew Robinson's video review:
Andrew Robinson's written review: http://hometheaterreview.com/emp-tek-e5bi-bookshelf-speaker-reviewed/

Note: These are now $225/pair, but you pay the return shipping ($25). Just one of a slew of choices. Go out and audition as many as you can to see what you like and don't like.

·
Registered
19,821 Posts

·
Registered
19,821 Posts
The room is not closed off, it connects to a bathroom and kitchen isnt fully open because of a bathroom and basement. not sure the measurements offhand but i believe about 11ftx18ft or so.
The listening distance is about 8ft. To be honest i love music and movies equally but music is whats more important to me.
I agree with looking at bookshelf speakers over towers - buy a pair of bookshelves to test
the sound signature first - if you like them, then complete the system.

Also check into NHT Classic series - and since music is priority - you can use cheaper, more
budget friendly surrounds.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I know he likes the speakers - however he lacked motivation in the video, and looked to
be half asleep and looked to be reading more than just speaking from experience.:)

However, still a nice option to check into.
LOL. Certainly, Andrew's written reviews are more exciting than his video reviews :D. It was his written review of the Magnepan 3.6 around 5 years ago that made me decide to audition them. I had read dozen of glowing reviews of the 3.6, yet, I hesitated because their physical size can dominate a room. I was fully prepared to buy the ML Summit ESLs (I've been wanting ESLs since I heard the MLs full panel speakers decades ago). It was his review that got me to go out and actually auditioned the Maggies. After auditioning each speaker three different times (and hours each time) did I make my decision. Andrew ended up saving me 10 grand ;).

Apparently, Andrew and I have similar tastes in sound, so I naturally look for his reviews. That does NOT mean anyone else will feel the same. Like any review, professional or amateur, one should take it only as a reason to audition, and not replace the auditioning aspect itself.

Reactions: darthray

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the input will check into it, going to go to a local audio store called Allegro and check some of their speakers out, will check some of the other brand recomendations also. I dont know alot about bookshelf speakers so ill check a few out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I went and listened to some bookshelf speakers today and I decided to go that route. Listened to some paradigm and b&w bookshelves and both blew me away. I liked the b&w 685 s2 out of what I listened to. How do some of the recommended speakers compare to these? Anyone have any input? The we're about 650$ for a pair.

·
Premium Member
8,896 Posts
Everyone seems to want towers for their front speakers, even with a sub (which is often a waste of money). What MAY dictate speakers selection is the distance to the listening position, while subwoofers ARE dictated by room volume (and if your room is not closed off). In order to recommend anything, that is the information I'd be looking for. That, and whether this system is more for movies than music.
I would get 4 identical bookshelves and put the money saved by not getting towers towards a second sub.

I agree with both of you.
I always suggest bookshelf with a good sub for most people budget.

That said, if you look at my signature, you will see that I am a tower guy:)
Tower do offer a LITTLE advantage for playing louder with less stress in the bass region when cross at the same point as the bookshelf since most tower were design to go lower.

I did say very little, so for me, tower is only if the budget allow-it without removing some money that could have been spend on better bookshelf, so bookshelf is the way to go for most people:)

Ray

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
I went and listened to some bookshelf speakers today and I decided to go that route. Listened to some paradigm and b&w bookshelves and both blew me away. I liked the b&w 685 s2 out of what I listened to. How do some of the recommended speakers compare to these? Anyone have any input? The we're about 650$ for a pair.
I'd say that if you found a speaker or two that blew you away, those would be at the very top of my list for comparison. Do go back and audition them again. I've only auditioned one B&W (don't remember the model) a little over a year ago. It cost about the same as the Def Tech SM-55 I was auditioning at the time (around $600). I thought it was a pretty good speaker, but like the Def Tech SM-55, not exactly what I was looking for. But again, that is me, not you or anyone else. Buy the speaker you like the most, not what someone else may like the most.

As far as the Hsu Ultra 15 package, I've auditioned both the ULS-15 (at their Anaheim facility and at home) and the HB-1 Mk 2 bookshelf speakers at their facility. For a horn speaker, they really surprised me (but again, not quite enough to buy them). I thought the ULS-15 was surprisingly good for movies considering its size (and I really liked its size).

Reactions: darthray

·
Premium Member
8,896 Posts
I'd say that if you found a speaker or two that blew you away, those would be at the very top of my list for comparison. Do go back and audition them again. I've only auditioned one B&W (don't remember the model) a little over a year ago. It cost about the same as the Def Tech SM-55 I was auditioning at the time (around $600). I thought it was a pretty good speaker, but like the Def Tech SM-55, not exactly what I was looking for. But again, that is me, not you or anyone else. Buy the speaker you like the most, not what someone else may like the most.

As far as the Hsu Ultra 15 package, I've auditioned both the ULS-15 (at their Anaheim facility and at home) and the HB-1 Mk 2 bookshelf speakers at their facility. For a horn speaker, they really surprised me (but again, not quite enough to buy them). I thought the ULS-15 was surprisingly good for movies considering its size (and I really liked its size).

As always:)
Good post and honest opinion/recommendation on your part:D

Ray

·
Registered
114 Posts

The Def Tech SM55's are pretty impressive speakers, I bought them about a month ago to use as surrounds. They are extremely detailed speakers for sure. I'd give em' a look and listen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts